Blood Orange - Harriet Tyce

Book Forum for your reviews and favourite authors
marymary
Global Moderator

Blood Orange - Harriet Tyce

Post by marymary »

Okay, I’m not going to lie. About a hundred pages in to this I predicted how it was going to end but fervently hoped that I was wrong.

The scenario is an unreliable protagonist who deliberately sets up the reader to really dislike her because she is a drunk who is also having an affair with a user/abuser of women while her faithful husband and child await her return from work. And, there’s so much to dislike about her. Another one for the road? Check. Another burned meal? Check. Another forgotten child pick up at school? Check.

Thankfully there’s more to all the characters than meets the eye. The minor details along the way that I thought were going to be significant later on were important details but the author joined the jigsaw together in a different way to my anticipated climax - and that’s a deliberate choice of vocabulary.

I’d probably give this a 7/10.

Would I recommend it? Yes because it goes down a few unexpected alleyways. Is it a quick read? Yes, a page turner after about page 150. Would I try other books by this author? Yes, as long as it’s not the same main character.

Little John

Re: Blood Orange - Harriet Tyce

Post by Little John »

So what made you keep turning the pages? Were you hoping she'd get her "comeuppance"?
Yes this is the real "Little John"

marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

I wanted to check that I was right to be honest. Also, the murder case she was going to be the barrister for was interesting.

Little John

Post by Little John »

You didn't mention the murder case!

marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

It’s almost peripheral except that it causes the central character to examine her own marriage and actually there is a reveal about her paramour during the case.

marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/187 ... law-books/

While Tyce, 47, knew that Alison in Blood Orange was an anti-heroine in every sense of the definition, even she was taken aback by how polarising the character proved.

"I had quite a lot of reader pushback about Alison's character," she says. "So many people told me Alison was dislikeable. I knew she was difficult, but I didn't think she was horrible, so it gave me a bit of a rude awakening about my idea of likeability.

Little John

Post by Little John »

So it wasn't deliberate? She thought it was par for the course?

marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

Apparently so. It’s an interesting article though. It reinforces my feeling that those born to privilege tend to do well because of the family work ethos and educational and other opportunities though.

Little John

Post by Little John »

It was slightly autobiographical in that she came from that background and probably did spend too much time away from her family and considered it part of the job.