Too close to Home - Linwood Barclay (OK)

Book Forum for your reviews and favourite authors
Little John
Mood:

Too close to Home - Linwood Barclay (OK)

Post by Little John »

I was first introduced to Linwood Barclay on the Lineone/Tiscali/Talk Talk books forum when we were all reading "No Time for Goodbye". I've read a few since then and have to say that Barclay isn't my favourite writer. He comes up with some intriguing story lines which do keep you reading but I find his style slightly lacking. Too Close to Home has that usual or perhaps unusual twisting plot but with red herrings the size of which would give the Marlin in "The Old Man and the Sea " a run for its money. Very American and very frustrating. The characters seem intent on complicating everything that happens and leave you shouting "just tell the police for goodness sake!"

A young boy hatches a plot to avail himself of the home of his friends family while they are on holiday. The plan works perfectly until the family return home almost immediately and then get murdered whilst the boy is still hiding in the basement. The suspect list is as long as your arm and gets longer as the pages turn. The book would have been a lot shorter had everyone done what they should have done at the start but then Barclay couldn't have filled the 466 pages.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin whose birthday is the day after mine)

marymary
Global Moderator
Mood:

Re: Too close to Home - Linwood Barclay (OK)

Post by marymary »

That’s a long book!

The sweet spot is 80,000 to 120,000 words apparently.