What are you reading at the moment?

Book Forum for your reviews and favourite authors
Little John
Mood:

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

Post by Little John »

Bottom post of the previous page:

The old "men don't read books by women" thing was mentioned again on the radio over the weekend. The idea does intrigue me and i was trying to decide if there was any justification and also of books by women i have read or would choose to read.

Apart from the regular crime stuff in your post, ne, there are a couple of women writers I haven't tried so i might look out for them.

We decided that Val McDermot was as good as any male crime writer but also thought that maybe the way books by women are presented might be one explanation. Im looking at the cover of a very pink Cecília Ahern book.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin whose birthday is the day after mine)

marymary
Global Moderator
Mood:

Post by marymary »

Oh no! Cecilia Ahern is someone who plots well but is not so good at the execution IMO. She is our guilty summer pleasure but to be honest we laugh sometimes when we’re not meant to.

noescape
Mood:

Post by noescape »

Try Helen Fields too LJ i prefer her to Val.

Leigh
Mood:

Post by Leigh »

I still like old Aggie, (Christie, that is) or was she a bloke in drag? [runs.... hides}] :D
Of course I'm athletic, I SURF the internet daily!

Little John
Mood:

Post by Little John »

I think Lady P has read them all.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin whose birthday is the day after mine)

marymary
Global Moderator
Mood:

Post by marymary »

I think I did too when I was living briefly with my great aunt.

Scholar
Mood:

Post by Scholar »

Today I was reading "The First Three Gospels" by William Barclay. This was a fill-in reading because I am reading in his "Daily Study Bible" series, but was unable to grab one of those volumes this morning because I was in a rush to get ready for work.

I sometimes disagree with Dr. Barclay on matters of judgment, but he does share a wealth of background information and points of content or application in an engaging way. In the introduction to the latest revision of the Daily Study Bible series, the writer remarks that Dr. Barclay had an amazing memory and was able to quote from many sources, back in the day when computer searches for such quotations were not available. He often quotes from other documents outside the New Testament to illustrate by comparison (e.g. he might quote from Jewish sources to illustrate the Jewish flavor of the epistle of James, or he might refer to Greek "sermons" by philosophers to illustrate rhetorical devices which James used).