Black House - Stephen King and Peter Straub

Book Forum for your reviews and favourite authors
Little John

Black House - Stephen King and Peter Straub

Post by Little John »

This is quite a big book but I read it really quickly by my standards. This was a present from the same person who gave me the first book in the series - The Talisman. When I say "series", there are only two books but, according to wiki, there may be a third.

Jack Sawyer has retired from the police force at the ripe old age of 31. He decides to settle down in a quiet town called French Landing, a place where he had tracked down and arrested a serial killer some years before.

But French Landing is not the peaceful haven he is hoping for. Its being terrorised by a cannibalistic child killer who eats parts of his victims and then sends mocking notes to the parents.

The local police chief begs Jack to help solve the case but Jack at first insists that he has retired and takes some persuading to get him on the case.

It turns out to be right up his street because the murderer is possessed by a creature from "The Terriories" - a parallel world that Jack had travelled through as a child on a mission to save his mother from cancer.

I wasn't too keen on the style at first but once it became clear that this was not just another King horror story, I couldn't put it down.

Some excellent characters - good and bad and some unlikely heroes. It wasn't the best book I have ever read, it wasn't even as good as the first book - "The Talisman" but it went down like a bottle of good wine.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")