Watch Over Me - Daniela Sacerdoti

Book Forum for your reviews and favourite authors
noescape

Watch Over Me - Daniela Sacerdoti

Post by noescape »

I found this on my kindle recently, read the first page and gave up as it seemed a bit too depressing. However, last week I decided to give it another go and I am so glad that I did.

The first page is talking about ghosts and I was wondering why I had downloaded it (I couldnt remember doing so - I even tried to find it on my amazon orders to read the synopsis but couldnt find it - because I bought it back in August 2013!). Anyway I persevered and it turned out to be a lovely story and almost just a 'deep' chick lit.

Eilidh has been struggling to have a child for years and it has been gradually wearing her down, so after finding out her husband has been cheating on her and miscarrying after her last round of IVF (those 2 events were unconnected) she decides to escape to her aunt's house in a small village in Scotland where she spent a part of her childhood. Jamie, her old school friend, has been left raising his daughter alone after her mother (a one night stand gone wrong) decided to abandon them and head back to London to continue her career as an artist. The ghost I mentioned is his mother, who died a short time previously, and she has been watching over the residents of the village especially those who have been suffering in some way and tries to help them out.

This book had me both in tears (a few scenes were far too close to home for comfort) and smiling. I couldnt put it down once I got past the first page. Although I probably havent really sold it very well I really would highly recommend this book, it was very well written and I could feel the emotions from the characters so vividly. This is a book that has definitely left its mark on me.
Little John

Re: Watch Over Me - Daniela Sacerdoti

Post by Little John »

You sold it to me. But you didn't do as good a job for kindles.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
noescape

Post by noescape »

I can carry over 100 books in my bag as they are on my kindle, I couldnt do that with the paper versions now could I? not without having an even worse back than I already have!

Is that better? lol
Little John

Post by Little John »

To be fair, you'd have a pretty hard job trying to convince me to give up my beloved paper. But you wouldn't lose a book like you lost this one, would you?
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
noescape

Post by noescape »

Actually LJ I do frequently :oops:. I have 4 book cases filled to capacity and a large box full in our spare room which I havent managed to unpack yet as I need more space for them :D so I can easily forget all about certain books until I stumble across them again
Lady P

Post by Lady P »

We clubbed together to buy mother in law a kindle for Christmas, but she stills prefer to get the mobility scooter out of the garage and visit the library to get books.
noescape

Post by noescape »

I still buy loads of books out of charity shops too.

My parents both have kindles but they still buy each other the paper version of books as gifts, and my dad recently joined his local library too

as convenient as Kindles (and no doubt other e-book readers) are I dont think they ever will fully replace proper paper books.