A Place to Call Home - Carole Matthews (chick-lit)

Book Forum for your reviews and favourite authors
noescape

A Place to Call Home - Carole Matthews (chick-lit)

Post by noescape »

Chicklit about a woman who after years of abuse at the hands of her arranged husband, takes their daughter in the middle of the night and flees to London (from Milton Keynes). Due to a shortage of safe housing she bizarrely ends up living with recluse ex pop star Hayden, pole dancer Crystal and old cantankerous woman Joy. Originally from Sri Lanka, she has lived a very sheltered life in the UK, and finds herself thrown into a whole new life.

I enjoyed this better than most of the recent Carole Matthews books I have read but there were a few plot holes imo.

Because what in the book felt like just a few days were actually over a number of months, it felt at stages as though she was moving on and getting over things that most people would take a while to recover from, it is only when I realised that she had jumped ahead a few months that it started to make sense. However, there were a few of her conservative beliefs that she seemed to throw out the window at the slightest whim.

Considering she was meant to be hiding from her husband, she did, imo, do certain things which put her in the public domain just a bit too often. As for her husband himself, although clearly meant to be a thoroughly horrible person, his storyline just didnt come across as believable.

Again the ending felt forced, as if the author had been limited to a set number of pages and had to wrap it up quickly (things that felt important to the plot throughout were finished off with just a single line of text).

As a summer beach read, it was easy to read and there were a few laugh out loud moments, and I did enjoy it but it could have been a lot better with just a bit more thought.
Little John

Re: A Place to Call Home - Carole Matthews (chick-lit)

Post by Little John »

Who is the publisher, ne?
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
noescape

Post by noescape »

Sphere
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

Might pick it up over the summer. :)
Little John

Post by Little John »

noescape wrote:Sphere
I asked because of what you said about having to write so many words. I know some of the book factories do that. I'll have a look to see if Sphere is of that ilk.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")