1Q84 Book 3 - Haruki Murakami (G)

Book Forum for your reviews and favourite authors
Little John

1Q84 Book 3 - Haruki Murakami (G)

Post by Little John » July 24th, 2015, 11:42 am

Sequal to Books 1 & 2 which I also thoroughly enjoyed. Since then I consider myself a Haruki Murakami fan and have also read the wind up bird chronicle. But what a joyto be loaned this book by our eldest's partner just before we went to France.

Translated from the Japanese by a difference person this time - Philip Gabriel - and I did wonder how it would affect the style but it was just as good as ever. Weird and wonderfully poetic and philosophical.

Aomame (young heroin) and Tengo (co-author of the book "Air Chrysalis" and history teacher) are connected by some preternatural link in both the real 1984 and the strange world of 1Q84. They shared a brief moment of mutually supporting love as 10 year old class mates. Brief but although they were physically separated, there remained a strong spiritual connection between them.

Anomame is being hunted by a private detective - Ushikawa - who has been hired by a religious organisation called Sakigake because Anomame killed their leader thereby cutting off the voice of "The Little People" on whom the religion is based. The little people are also the weavers of the Air Chrysalis establishing the link between the Dohta and the ~Maza; or was it the other way round?

But thankfully, Anomame is being protected by an excellent professional minder called Tamaru - the personal body guard for "the Dowager"; a rich old woman who has a personal campaign against violence against women and the people that perpetrate it.

But never mind the names, or even the plot. The wonder of the book is the way the story is told. Really relaxing like listening to someone with the perfect voice reading your favourite poem to you.
Yes this is the real "Little John"

marymary
Global Moderator

Re: 1Q84 Book 3 - Haruki Murakami (G)

Post by marymary » July 24th, 2015, 12:10 pm

Thanks John. I like Haruki Murakami but haven't bought this one.