Number 10 - Sue Townsend (G)

Book Forum for your reviews and favourite authors
Little John

Number 10 - Sue Townsend (G)

Post by Little John »

Lady P found this in a charity shop but neither of us could remember if we had read it. We remembered the Queen and I which was excellent so I gave it a go to see if it rang any bells. And I'm glad I did. Really pleasant relief from the glut of whodunnits and right up my street politically.

Thinly disguised fiction about Edward Clare (which does actually rhyme with someone who shall remain nameless) who is cracking up under the strain of being the PM. The New Labour Gang decide that a week away in disguise and getting down with the plebs might shake him back to his senses. So off he goes disguised as a woman and chaperoned by Jack Spratt - the policeman who normally stands guard outside the door of No10.

Its not that clever. Not really. Or subtle. But it had me agreeing with every full stop and comma and the bits in between. Some nice side stories which might have been a bit unfair to Adele (Cherie) but then I could never understand what she did to deserve the flack that she got.

If I have read it, I suppose its not exactly memorable in the sense that its not profound or moving. Its just a fun easy read from a source that sadly won't be producing any new gems of observational humour.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
marymary
Global Moderator

Re: Number 10 - Sue Townsend (G)

Post by marymary »

I'll look out for that. I enjoyed the original Adrian Mole but her follow up novels less so.
Little John

Post by Little John »

Did you hear the story of her continuing to hand write her books even after she went blind. Shouldn't laugh, but when she died, they found she had written loads of stuff with a pen that had run out of ink. But the managed to do a police job on the paper and,were able to get the words from the imprint the pen had made.
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

That's both sad and touching at the same time.
Winebarger

Post by Winebarger »

marymary wrote:I'll look out for that. I enjoyed the original Adrian Mole but her follow up novels less so.
Same here, apart from Adrian Mole I wasn't too impressed with the other books. This one looks interesting though.
Little John

Post by Little John »

Did you try The Queen and I? I suppose they are less subtle than Adrian Mole but still well done.