Apple Tree Yard - Louise Doughty

Book Forum for your reviews and favourite authors
marymary
Global Moderator

Apple Tree Yard - Louise Doughty

Post by marymary »

A2CEFCB1-4BE7-4A05-9B79-2A6D35024D9E.jpeg
A2CEFCB1-4BE7-4A05-9B79-2A6D35024D9E.jpeg (87.86 KiB) Viewed 994 times
“Relationships are about stories, not truth. Alone, as individuals, we each have our own personal mythologies, the stories we tell in order to make sense of ourselves to ourselves. That generally works fine as long as we stay sane and single, but the minute you enter an intimate relationship with another person there is an automatic dissonance between your story about yourself and his or her story about you."

Apple Tree Yard begins in a courtroom. We don’t know why the narrator Yvonne is in the dock but we do know that she has been caught out in a lie on the stand.

"Everything we have worked for, everything we have tried to protect – it is all about to tumble… Everyone is fixed on me – everyone, my love, apart from you. You are not looking at me anymore."

The book then flashes back to when Yvonne first met her “love” and the subsequent affair which leads to the trial. We don’t find out who the co-accused is until about half way through because Yvonne doesn’t find out who he really is until the trial.

Apple Tree Yard rattles along rewarding the reader with little snippets which explain how Yvonne got to this point. Various other minor characters are quite well drawn but the main character seems to be acting well out of character in the steps she takes. Anyone who has ever experienced a coup de foudre may well feel this part of the novel rings true however.

The book was made into a BBC miniseries but I have read the book first so it was suspenseful for me.

8/10
Lady P

Re: Apple Tree Yard - Louise Doughty

Post by Lady P »

I did see this on tv, but I think it would make a good read. I think it makes the story clearer.
Little John

Re: Apple Tree Yard - Louise Doughty

Post by Little John »

That bit about people's perception of themselves is inspired.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")