The Siege of Trencher's Farm - Gordon Williams

Book Forum for your reviews and favourite authors
Little John

The Siege of Trencher's Farm - Gordon Williams

Post by Little John »

Written in 1969, This is the story that Straw Dogs was based on. Quite short and a good half of it is dedicated to the violent action. Not quite the same as the film. No rape, no previous between the wife and one of the attackers. The object of the siege was an escaped child killer rather than the esn local boy. There is a daughter and the missing girl is found alive.

Not a bad read but there is an underlying, disturbing politically incorrect and terribly archaic theme of the wife wishing to be hit and dominated by the husband and the marriage being saved by the husband turning into a caveman.

Be interesting to see what Lady P makes of it.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
Lady P

Re: The Siege of Trencher's Farm - Gordon Williams

Post by Lady P »

Gordon Williams was a Scottish writer who died last year. I decided to get the book after seeing Straw Dogs on the Talking Pictures TV earlier in the year. However the film was a bit dated, different attitudes. We had seen it at the cinema years ago and people stood up and clapped when Dustin Hoffman fought back. I wanted to see if the book was any different from the film as is often the case and I believe it is although I have not read the book yet. The film was remade in 2011 and set in America this time