Espresso Tales - Alexander McCall Smith (VG)

Book Forum for your reviews and favourite authors
Little John

Espresso Tales - Alexander McCall Smith (VG)

Post by Little John » June 26th, 2019, 8:02 am

Second in the 44 Scotland St series. Bertie is at school, Bruce is sacked, Irene is having doubts and Stuart does an assertiveness course.

Another of McCall's series originally printed in daily doses in The Scotsman newspaper. For me, this is another lucky find and an author I fully intend to follow. The man is bordering on genius; and not only in the writing department. I don't know if his knowledge of the World and everything in it comes from first hand experience or excellent research but he seems to know a lot about a lot of different subjects; and then be able to write about them and make them entertaining and funny!

I have left the book at the caravan but there is a "poem" the end that I must quote from when I get my hands on the book. There is one particular line about celebrating dialect which I thought appropriate. McCall Smith uses a few Scots dialect words and phrases and, thanks to members of the indigenous population on this board, I have been educated as to their meaning.
Yes this is the real "Little John"

Lady P

Re: Espresso Tales - Alexander McCall Smith (VG)

Post by Lady P » June 26th, 2019, 9:28 am

I am now reading Love over Scotland which is the next book in the series. I first heard 44 Scotland St on Radio 4 Woman,s Hour and it was very funny. There are more books in the series. Will have to read The Ladies Detective Agency next which AMS is famous for.

marymary
Global Moderator

Re: Espresso Tales - Alexander McCall Smith (VG)

Post by marymary » June 26th, 2019, 8:59 pm

They are brilliant. Well, at least the first few are.