The Lubetkin Legacy - Marina Lewycka (G)

Book Forum for your reviews and favourite authors
Little John

The Lubetkin Legacy - Marina Lewycka (G)

Post by Little John »

Her fifth book after the Short history of Tractors in Ukrainian that made her famous and the forum favourite in the Tiscali book forum way back.

There is, of course, a brief reference to the fictional author of the above work and plenty of other Eastern Europeans but as an added bonus, we are introduced to Violet, a young woman with roots in Kenya who has her mind set on a career in high finance but is soon disillusioned when she becomes aware of the shady international dealings.

The main story is staged around Madley Court, a block of flats now mostly owned by residents. Berthold Sidebotton, a struggling actor, lives with his mother in one of the few council owned flats because his mother had principles and refused the right to buy. When his mother dies early in the story, Berthold sets about a scheme to hang on to the tenancy by tricking the local housing officer into believing his mother is still alive.

I wasn't sure it was up to Lewycka's usual standards at first but I was soon proved wrong. In fact, the introduction of the Kenyan connection added a new dimension to her story telling and this one has elements of a thriller. Yes, you did read that right, Marina Lewycka has touched on the thriller genre!

Lots of lovely characters and whimsical situations and the author does a reasonable job of telling the story largely from a male perspective.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
marymary
Global Moderator

Re: The Lubetkin Legacy - Marina Lewycka (G)

Post by marymary »

I only ever read TSHOTIU by her. Interesting that she has branched out.
Little John

Re: The Lubetkin Legacy - Marina Lewycka (G)

Post by Little John »

Not entirely. It's much the same but with an unexpected serious bit at the end. But I would highly recommend her others, specially Two Caravans.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")