Alexander McCall Smith - The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency (VG)

Book Forum for your reviews and favourite authors
Little John

Alexander McCall Smith - The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency (VG)

Post by Little John »

I have half listened to the radio series and half enjoyed it without paying full attention. It struck me as nice and whimsical but not too serious or outstanding. Now, having been introduced to the 44 Scotland St series and loved it, it seemed a good time to have a look at McCall's other work.

This was yet another kindle experience (I'm getting used to this now) and a wonderful one at that. Its the 20th anniversary edition of the first book in the series and a very good place to start. We learn about Mma Ramotswe early life and the trials and tribulations of her father working in the South African mines. Of how he struck lucky with cattle, selling at the right time and felt able to go to his early, pneumo silicosis induced grave, know that he had provided for his only daughter.

What he didn't plan for, was that instead of opening a store, Precious Ramotswe decided to open the only Ladies Detective agency in Botswana. She's a clever girl but living in a Man's World - although Botswana seems positively enlightened compared to the cultures in the surrounding countries.

It is a nice book. humorous with plenty of pathos, lovable characters and some not so lovable ones. In this book she tackles a number of cases - not all of them paid but all of them successful and that success achieved with the aid of impressive lateral thinking and intuition.

Interesting to read this after the Marina Lewycka book with Violet the girl from Kenya as I felt I had got to know and love Africa. McCall seems to know it very well and writes fondly about it in a very similar way to how he writes about Scotland.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
marymary
Global Moderator

Re: Alexander McCall Smith - The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency (VG)

Post by marymary »

I am very fond of Precious Ramotswe and read several of the books. As time went on though the incompetence of the men began to bother me. It was around the time that men were objects of ridicule everywhere, including adverts, and I just stopped reading the books.

However, I still drink redbush tea because of her.
Little John

Post by Little John »

I typed that outside in the sun but read it just now inside in the rain. And it's too late to correct the typos.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

Is it? I thought you could always edit your own post. 🤐
digger
Sys_op.

Post by digger »

Only for the first hour and thereafter if no one has replied