Lockdown - Peter May

Book Forum for your reviews and favourite authors
marymary
Global Moderator

Lockdown - Peter May

Post by marymary »

Well, a book by your man will be winging its way to me at the weekend. Lockdown was originally rejected by the publisher as being too far fetched but looked at under the current climate has been dusted off and printed for folk like me who would prefer their lockdown to be fictional.

I will let you know how I get on. It’s not as if I am going to be doing much else...
Little John

Re: Lockdown - Peter May

Post by Little John »

Blimey. How portentous! Not heard of that one. Is it an early one they resurrected?
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

It’s an early one they didn’t think people would believe.

https://www.waterstones.com/book/lockdo ... 1529411690
Little John

Post by Little John »

I think I was spoilt by coming in on the Lewis trilogy. Most of his stuff before that is ok but a bit of a disappointment after reading that. And I think his publishers recognise that fact and are piling stuff onto the bandwagon.

Mind you, I think Grisham has improved in his later work. A painted house was totally different and I'd say a classic.
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

I finished this over the weekend which shows that it’s the usual page turner we have come to expect from May.

I can see why the publisher might have thought it far fetched but as it’s only London that is in Lockdown it’s almost halcyon by comparison to our situation.

The murder is of a child whose bones are tossed onto a building site which is about to become a temporary hospital. The bones stop work, the policeman sent to investigate is on the last 24 hours of his contract because he has resigned to spend more time with his little boy. Although everyone wants a quick resolution, the case becomes too big to ignore and everywhere the gruff Scottish cop goes, dead bodies pile up afterwards.

May writes better for male central characters in my opinion. He does this thing where he describes well known locations and settings as if the reader won’t have heard of them, like the London Eye, and I found this a bit irritating. However it was still a rattling yarn.
Little John

Post by Little John »

Just read the last page. Like you, it was a weekend job. Very enjoyable and quite up to his best, I thought. I note from the forward that it was rejected by the publisher15 years ago but along with "The Blachouse", the first book in the Lewis trilogy and the start of his best work

We both know Bermondsey and Greenwich well so that detailed itinery of street names did seem a bit unnecessary but they were all words that helped May meet his quota.