Sunshine on Scotland St - Alexander McCall Smith (G)

Book Forum for your reviews and favourite authors
Little John

Sunshine on Scotland St - Alexander McCall Smith (G)

Post by Little John »

The 8th book in the 44 Scotland St series and McCall Smith hasn't let us down. Angus and Domenica are off on their honeymoon leaving Cyril the gold-toothed dog with young Bertie. But not for long......

Irene makes life for Cyril impossible so the long suffering Bertie, not wishing his canine friend to suffer the same fate as himself - albeit for only a week or so, hatches a plan to secret Cyril away to the home of Ranald Braveheart MacPherson. But Cyrl has other ideas. Meanwhile, Matthew becomes the subject of a Danish Documentary, until "Bo" the director, finds Big Lou a more interesting subject. Bruce discovers his twin and in a very unlikely turn of events, Bruce and Johnathon swap places.

Angus, having got off to a very disorganised start to married life, is out of the picture (no pun intended) until the very end. Cyril is overjoyed to be reunited with the human he worships and Angus has a rather lovely insightful realisation about the value of friends. For me, these last few pages were the best bit in the book and makes me wonder where McCall Smith gets his inspiration. I'd certainly love to buy him a drink sometime, maybe when things return to normal and we happen to be in Edinburgh.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")