Death At Paradise Beach by Jan Christensen

Book Forum for your reviews and favourite authors
marymary
Global Moderator

Death At Paradise Beach by Jan Christensen

Post by marymary »

Thanks to the author for giving me an advanced copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review. The novel is available now to those on Amazon Unlimited or can be downloaded or purchased in a traditional format.
3CBB7D83-FC33-4B51-8241-2149338CD570.jpeg
3CBB7D83-FC33-4B51-8241-2149338CD570.jpeg (45.6 KiB) Viewed 3057 times
Death At Paradise Beach by Jan Christensen is set mostly in and around a new condo in Texas. The condo manager Luna is in her late thirties and divorced but doing really well in her chosen career. She has an eye for a handsome man and, unfortunately for her, prefers them to be a bit of a rogue. The day we meet Luna she is en route to the library and takes a stumble right into the arms of a man who is just her type and Luna resists every instinct she has to throw caution to the wind because her body wants to respond to what she sees and hears despite him being an unknown quantity. On her way back from the library Luna sees a dead body near her condo and calls the police and this is where her troubles start.

The novel is written mostly in dialogue and short chapters with a cliffhanger to make you read on. Luna is joined in her escapades by her famous mother, an old hippy grandmother, questionable father, albino lawyer etc. etc. It is a quirk of the novel that many of the characters are related to others who appear- for example a doctor is related to a lawyer and a different lawyer is related to a police officer. Perhaps this Texas community is meant to be a small one but when I lived in a condo in Virginia in 1987 I didn’t feel the sense of family everywhere that this novel creates.

The book is a perfect beach read, or at least it will be in the final version, because there’s sun, sand, banter, money and flowing alcohol. The dialogue is light and it will appeal to those who like suspecting everyone and being surprised at the end.

As I said, I have what I think is an advance copy which still has a few errors in it that would be caught by a human reader but not by a spellchecker because it’s the wrong word in that context. After a slight edit it would be a 4 star review but as it stands, I would give it a 3.
Leigh

Re: Death At Paradise Beach by Jan Christensen

Post by Leigh »

I thought it was a story based on the TV show.
Of course I'm athletic, I SURF the internet daily!
marymary
Global Moderator

Re: Death At Paradise Beach by Jan Christensen

Post by marymary »

Death in Paradise? Unconnected but similarly gentle.