List--most influential Science Fiction books of all time

Book Forum for your reviews and favourite authors
Scholar

List--most influential Science Fiction books of all time

Post by Scholar »

https://bookriot.com/the-most-influenti ... ket-newtab
If this is not proper in "The Library," I'm sorry--it seems like a library topic, but does not precisely match the description. I am OK with a moderator moving it.

In spite of me being a sci-fi fan, I was not familiar with some of the titles. I read science fiction for enjoyment, and I have rejoiced in the John W. Campbell revolution. (When he started, many science fiction stories reached print that were badly written, but made sales based on the appetite for ideas about other worlds, the future, advanced science ideas--even if the plots, character development, and use of English were poor. Campbell insisted that science fiction should be well-written literature with science fiction elements in it, and wrote some novels demonstrating the higher standard. And, he edited quality science fiction magazines.) Some science fiction on this list was before my time.

So much good science fiction has been written, I cannot keep up with it. There was a time when a person could buy virtually all the periodicals and read all the best authors published in the U.S. Now, it is like the internet--lots of good stories written, but also so many poor ones that it is easy to waste time on junk.

A few of my favorite classic authors made the list. Asimov, Bradbury and Clarke are there. But not Heinlein, or Spider Robinson, or Larry Niven. But--the list is about the most influential books, not the BEST books or writers.

Give the list a look, and tell us what you think. :wave:
Little John

Re: List--most influential Science Fiction books of all time

Post by Little John »

Seems appropriate to. Me.

I have read some of them. Probably the obvious ones. I was more disappointed not to see some of my favourites. I havent read a lot of Azimath. No CS Lewis, which Im surprised about but a lot to think about. I must be due some Sci Fi.

Oh! And no L Ron Hubbard. I only read one and wasnt that keen.
Last edited by Little John on October 16th, 2021, 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

It’s fine here. I read a lot of those when I went through my sci fi phase.
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

The list seems to be pretty far ranging, I think it's moot as to how many are genuine Sci-Fi and how many are adventure/cowboy/detective stories based in 'the future' or 'an alternative universe'.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

My pal is a great sci fi fan. His theory is that sci fi should tell you something about present times masquerading as the future.
Little John

Post by Little John »

SRD wrote: October 16th, 2021, 9:31 pm The list seems to be pretty far ranging, I think it's moot as to how many are genuine Sci-Fi and how many are adventure/cowboy/detective stories based in 'the future' or 'an alternative universe'.
I always told Lady P that. Star Trek could be and was all those. And a Western.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

I've read about 13 of those, some, of which, I'd not class as Sci Fi. I'm surprised that 2001, a Space Odyssey was not listed. Star Trek, LJ was not a book until the TV series created a fan base, I'd have also considered that the Star Wars franchise books should not be included given that they post date the movie.
Of course I'm athletic, I SURF the internet daily!
Quaver

Post by Quaver »

There are some Japanese books in there.
I haven't read them at all, only seen some on TV, but all (I don't know one of those) are very famous.
Little John

Post by Little John »

Ah! My man! Haruki Murakami. Excellent stuff. And Brian Aldis. Try "Barefoot in the Head"
Scholar

Post by Scholar »

Little John wrote: October 16th, 2021, 10:10 pm
SRD wrote: October 16th, 2021, 9:31 pm The list seems to be pretty far ranging, I think it's moot as to how many are genuine Sci-Fi and how many are adventure/cowboy/detective stories based in 'the future' or 'an alternative universe'.
I always told Lady P that. Star Trek could be and was all those. And a Western.
I read a book about the making of Star Trek. Roddenberry pitched the idea to the network as "Wagon Train in space." The ship was big enough to bring in new characters from the crew every week (like Wagon Train could bring up someone from a wagon not yet featured), and new planets/solar systems could bring in whole new civilizations, comparable to the wagon train stopping at new towns.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

You are correct Scholar.
Of course I'm athletic, I SURF the internet daily!
Little John

Post by Little John »

Wishbone and Rowdy Yates. Ah, no. That was Rawhide. Or at least Rowdy Yates was. Was there a crossover of actors?

Just checked and there wasnt. I was confusing Rawhide's Wishbone with Wooster in Wagon train.