The Good, The Bad and the Little Bit Stupid - Marina Lewycka (G)

Book Forum for your reviews and favourite authors
Little John

The Good, The Bad and the Little Bit Stupid - Marina Lewycka (G)

Post by Little John »

Your Tractors in Ukraine woman. More Eastern Europeans with their "mobalfons" but this time it all gets a bit heavy. I didn't expect the climax, in fact I suspected it was going to be a tough read, a little bit banal but thankfully I was wrong.

This was on my Christmas wish list and I did start it a few months ago in the winter, in the early hours when I couldn't sleep. It didn't grab me or, in fact, send me to sleep. So I put it down until recently and tried again. George 79, has left his younger wife for the woman next door. His two children are not happy and neither is his wife. One day he gets an email telling him he has won the Kosovan lottery and all he has to do is provide his bank details to collect the money.

Despite the warnings from his son, and the fact that he doesn't actually remember entering the lottery, George sends off his bank details but, on the advice of his son, he changes his password before anything happens. Then, to his delight, the money, millions of pounds, appears in his bank account. And that's where the fun begins.

It does get a bit heavy. There are some terrible things in the book that are actually rather glossed over. I was left wishing that something more had happened to right these substantial wrongs. Lewycka isn't a thriller writer so the book resolves around the people rather than the heavy bit which felt rather unresolved. But overall, it was mostly typical of her people centred style and an entertaining read.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")