Photo writing challenge 1

The arts , poetry & creative writing forum
marymary
Global Moderator

Photo writing challenge 1

Post by marymary »

So, any type of writing prompted by this photo. (The group I belong to suggests fewer than two hundred words but if you want to run with it, go ahead)
CE96B1D1-16C7-4528-A264-F7B8D301FF7C.jpeg
Leigh

Re: Photo writing challenge 1

Post by Leigh »

That photo sure beats running. :D
Of course I'm athletic, I SURF the internet daily!
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

Jim was beginning to regret using the rickshaw as his getaway vehicle after robbing the bank.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

Tuck Tuk

“You want me to take you where?” John was aghast. This fare with the Macdonalds stinking out his tuktuk wanted to be driven to the Warwickshire Yeomanry Museum on the other side of town. The American had fallen for the “Experience the past, taste the future” tourist tag line and obviously either didn’t know how much the fare would be, or was rich as Croesus.

John stopped outside Santander. “It’s going to cost you around a hundred if you want to go there, are you sure? I’m happy to take you buddy but it’s payment in advance for journeys of that length. I’ve been let down before.”

“Here’s my card, sir. I want to drink it all in in style for once in my life,” drawled Walt as he sat back enjoying the view whilst chewing his McNuggets and slurping his milkshake, “I am quite at ease.”
Little John

Post by Little John »

I think i'll fire up the laptop for inspiration.....
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

Bump
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

marymary wrote: October 15th, 2021, 3:39 pmBump
Speed? :lol:
Little John

Post by Little John »

I keep getting distracted by duolingo
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

So write it in Portuguese.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla
Little John

Post by Little John »

bobby and me.jpg
bobby and me.jpg (49.43 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
There have been two dogs in my life. Both called "Bobby" and both named after the famous Greyfriars dog who sat by his masters grave pining the loss until he died. Bobby the first (with me in the picture) was a mongrel. Now I come to write about him, I am struggling to remember a lot except for what I was told. The one clear memory I do have, is coming home from school one day and not receiving the usual welcoming tonge in the ear. It's more of a feeling than a memory; but the fact is, his tail had been pulled one too many times by my younger sister and he had snapped and made his feelings known by giving her a warning nip on the forehead.

She lived to tell the tale but he wasn't allowed to. I'm not sure when I found out that he wasn't ever coming back and I can't even recall the sense of worry and loss I surely felt at the time. They say that a week is a long time in politics and I imagine that, to a six or seven year old boy, its even longer. Thinking about it now, I probably feel a lot worse than I did then. Which is probably why, twenty or so years later, we named our new dog after Bobby 1st.

Bobby 2nd was the runt of the litter. We had been married for two years before we bought our first house. Our friend's dog had had puppies in July 1979 and we thought one of them would go well with our new house. We didn't actually move until October and the dog we had chosen in July had gone to another home. Poor "Bobby 2" was the one that nobody else wanted so he was the one that we took with us and who pined all night for his mother and tore up the cushions on his bed in protest. Like seven year old boys, puppies soon acclimatise and it wasn't long before he started to see the advantages of living near both the local common and the local woods, especially the local woods.

Perhaps it was irresponsible, but we never had the heart to get Bobby 2 "done". He wasn't a bad dog or a large dog but those two little accessories did make life just a bit more "exciting" for all of us; including my parents who would look after him on the rare occasions we went abroad. Other than then, where we went he went so we only "went" where dogs were accepted.

I still dream about him. I dream that he suddenly comes back after all the years since he died and I realise we hadn't bought any dog food for absolutely ages. Maybe that's the memories of the loss of Bobby 1 coming back, who knows. What I do know is I won't get another. Whatever pain I was spared by the short memory span of a 7 year old is made up for when you lose a dog in later life. It was great while it lasted but, apart from those dreams, its something I won't be back to for a third time.
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

Malcolm’s latest photo challenge was this one.
FD6D8AA7-A5E1-4CC2-B473-9A78A3F50F17.jpeg
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

My response

The official Queensferry Loony dook had been cancelled but, at daybreak, swarms of people in swimsuits and superhero costumes were lined up waiting for the signal to rush into the sea. Scattered rowing boats formed the outer extremity of the event, holding equipment to be rushed to anyone experiencing a shock to the system from the ice cold sea.

Kirsty McGreggor strode in wearing a mini kilt and top holding the 2022 sign aloft like someone announcing which fight round was taking place.

Kirsty knew how to get into the papers! After all, what was the point of raising money for charity if you couldn’t prove your altruism? She dooked herself under the waves and rose triumphant with chattering teeth. Her legs had started to resemble purple tartan by the time she gratefully returned to her towel and pile of warmer clothes on the pebbles.

Not quite so glamorous now.
Little John

Post by Little John »

marymary wrote: January 6th, 2022, 10:07 am Her legs had started to resemble purple tartan by the time she gratefully returned to her towel and pile of warmer clothes on the pebbles.

Not quite so glamorous now.
Nice image!:)
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

Little John wrote: January 6th, 2022, 9:50 am
bobby and me.jpg

There have been two dogs in my life. Both called "Bobby" and both named after the famous Greyfriars dog who sat by his masters grave pining the loss until he died. Bobby the first (with me in the picture) was a mongrel. Now I come to write about him, I am struggling to remember a lot except for what I was told. The one clear memory I do have, is coming home from school one day and not receiving the usual welcoming tonge in the ear. It's more of a feeling than a memory; but the fact is, his tail had been pulled one too many times by my younger sister and he had snapped and made his feelings known by giving her a warning nip on the forehead.

She lived to tell the tale but he wasn't allowed to. I'm not sure when I found out that he wasn't ever coming back and I can't even recall the sense of worry and loss I surely felt at the time. They say that a week is a long time in politics and I imagine that, to a six or seven year old boy, its even longer. Thinking about it now, I probably feel a lot worse than I did then. Which is probably why, twenty or so years later, we named our new dog after Bobby 1st.

Bobby 2nd was the runt of the litter. We had been married for two years before we bought our first house. Our friend's dog had had puppies in July 1979 and we thought one of them would go well with our new house. We didn't actually move until October and the dog we had chosen in July had gone to another home. Poor "Bobby 2" was the one that nobody else wanted so he was the one that we took with us and who pined all night for his mother and tore up the cushions on his bed in protest. Like seven year old boys, puppies soon acclimatise and it wasn't long before he started to see the advantages of living near both the local common and the local woods, especially the local woods.

Perhaps it was irresponsible, but we never had the heart to get Bobby 2 "done". He wasn't a bad dog or a large dog but those two little accessories did make life just a bit more "exciting" for all of us; including my parents who would look after him on the rare occasions we went abroad. Other than then, where we went he went so we only "went" where dogs were accepted.

I still dream about him. I dream that he suddenly comes back after all the years since he died and I realise we hadn't bought any dog food for absolutely ages. Maybe that's the memories of the loss of Bobby 1 coming back, who knows. What I do know is I won't get another. Whatever pain I was spared by the short memory span of a 7 year old is made up for when you lose a dog in later life. It was great while it lasted but, apart from those dreams, its something I won't be back to for a third time.
My friend contacted me earlier because her cat died yesterday. 21 years so a long life in a cosy home. Dogs are with us for a much shorter time but they are real companions especially as they like to travel with us.

There’s an Instagram account that I follow about a man and his dog as they travel around America. They started on a motorcycle then progressed to a motorcycle with a wagon. They have moved beyond a tent now because the dog can’t manage to jump up any more. The chap has just bought a van type mobile home for their final adventures. Even a life observed vicariously is sad when it draws to a close.
https://www.instagram.com/the_bike_dog/ ... =copy_link
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

marymary wrote: January 6th, 2022, 10:06 am Malcolm’s latest photo challenge was this one. FD6D8AA7-A5E1-4CC2-B473-9A78A3F50F17.jpeg
Some one unwrapped a bar of soap and they are all trying to escape......... :hide: