New kettle

The general chat & discussion area .
marymary
Global Moderator

New kettle

Post by marymary »

I need a new kettle because the on/off switch on my old one snapped off yesterday. In all my years of kettle owning this has never happened before. Usually it's the heating element that goes.
I was looking at some online but I may actually go into a shop..

Stand by your beds..
SRD
Rantipole

Re: New kettle

Post by SRD »

We use a hob kettle. It's lost its whistle.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla
digger
Sys_op.

Post by digger »

marymary wrote: July 14th, 2021, 8:56 am I need a new kettle because the on/off switch on my old one snapped off yesterday. In all my years of kettle owning this has never happened before. L

Same thing happened to my last one ...had a cheap backup stored but still can't get used to lid coming right off instead of flipping up .
🤯
Scholar

Post by Scholar »

In Great Britain, am I right to take it that "kettle" is short for "tea kettle"?
Little John

Post by Little John »

No. I think that would be a "tea pot". This is for boiling the water for the tea or (instant) coffee and indeed for chocolate and packet soup.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

In the late 80s in America I could only get a stove top kettle because electric ones didn’t seem to be a thing. I am guessing from scholar’s query that they still aren’t.

Here scholar I prefer a kettle which plugs into the socket. Generally it will match the colour of the toaster. My now broken one was glass which lit up blue when boiling but this time I have gone for a more functional one.
9C8099CD-E773-4041-A3B9-89B6DC25E3DF.jpeg
Quaver

Post by Quaver »

Part of the reason it's not used in the USA and Japan, is the voltage.
It's 110/120v in USA, 100v in Japan (240v in the UK). It takes twice as long to boil water :lol:
It is sold here though, but it really takes ages to boil, so it's quicker on the stove.
The hotels have it in the rooms.
digger
Sys_op.

Post by digger »

I'd noticed that with my travel kettle in Miami :) then I noticed the kettle didn't have a voltage switch boo hiss ,but a bit of luck with the coffee maker inthe room could boil water a bit faster.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

My kettle lives on the stove, I have an induction cooktop and it is way quicker than the electric kettles.
Of course I'm athletic, I SURF the internet daily!
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

What’s your voltage Leigh?
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

240v , 110 is only for woosies.
Of course I'm athletic, I SURF the internet daily!
Quaver

Post by Quaver »

My induction hob, dishwasher and air conditioning/hot water tank uses 200v, but everything else is 100v.
It means less powerful hair dryers and electric lawn mowers (no flymos) etc.
Scholar

Post by Scholar »

Leigh wrote: July 17th, 2021, 12:07 am My kettle lives on the stove, I have an induction cooktop and it is way quicker than the electric kettles.
My brother Vern had an induction cooking device. I wondered if it would be worth trying, here at our place. Based on your mention that it is quick, I'll get around to trying it. We have a heating-element electric stove, and Ruby laments its slowness. "Now, you're cooking with gas" is an old saying for getting something done more efficiently.
Quaver

Post by Quaver »

Scholar wrote: July 25th, 2021, 1:47 am My brother Vern had an induction cooking device. I wondered if it would be worth trying, here at our place. Based on your mention that it is quick, I'll get around to trying it. We have a heating-element electric stove, and Ruby laments its slowness. "Now, you're cooking with gas" is an old saying for getting something done more efficiently.
I've had all three.

Gas and induction is about the same speed, but you need to get pots and pans that are suitable for induction (did you keep Vern's pots and pans?).
I always wanted induction, so always bought pans that are suitable for either, so only had to replace one saucepan, which I gave to my mum (gas).
I used heating-element stove since I was in my teens until I got married, so I had to change my cooking style completely when I went over to gas.

Boiling water for things like pasta, it is quicker to do it on an electric kettle, and pour it into the pan (if in UK).
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

I have always had a gas stove top and an electric oven, even in America. Gas is faster and instantaneous for stir fry I find. In the US we had a double oven which was particularly handy for the broiler element. That seemed to have much higher temperatures than my oven here. I also used the self-cleaning option there that it had. I think it was plumbed into the water system but it’s over thirty years ago so I can’t be sure.