What is wrong with Americans?

The general chat & discussion area .
marymary
Global Moderator

What is wrong with Americans?

Post by marymary »

E39E632C-067E-4BA0-A09B-61FA274EA388.png
From the BBC today.

Nancy Pelosi was warned that China wouldn’t take this sort of interference. The woman’s an idiot.

SRD
Rantipole

Re: What is wrong with Americans?

Post by SRD »

It is indeed a terrible thing to stick up for democratically elected governments against totalitarian states.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla

Little John

Post by Little John »

The country that kicked the hornets nest.

But I was wondering this morning, if they planned the latest action anyway and just used the visit as an excuse. Otherwise their reaction doesn't make a lot of sense. All that just for one more visit.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin whose birthday is the day after mine)

marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

There’s ways of showing support that don’t provoke the dragon.More has been lost than gained.

digger
Sys_op.

Post by digger »

I'm with Simon on part here , firstly I don't think the opposition to the visit by the US government is as robust as made out . Add to that the Chinese want to make the whole sea area a no go for non Chinese . They're also claiming a Japanese island further down . Most importantly they are not democratic and don't give a toss what others think , if others were to turn the other cheek it would be guaranteed to be slapped too .

marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

I get that, honestly but missiles have been used today which must be quite frightening for those left behind her flying visit.

Of course, I would not put it past the US government to be using her for plausible deniability.

SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

It seems a frightening prospect that the Chinese have managed to put on this massive show of force in just a few days if it is a reaction to Pelosi's visit. Gathering all those ships, ensuring land missile stations are ready, etc., or is it that it has been well prepared beforehand and has just used the visit as an excuse to see just how much rope the Democracies are prepared to give China before reacting? The US seems to have been particularly quiet on the subject, almost as if they already knew what was going on.
Of course the action is frightening, although reports from Taiwan suggest they consider it to be, on the whole, very much business as usual.
The bottom line has to be that, if we don't want to live under a totalitarian regime we have to stand up and be prepared to fight for it. Appeasement has never worked.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla

Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Of course we must stand up to China, look at what happened to Europe after WW1 Hitler promised 'glory' for the 'Fatherland' and tried to expand into neighbouring countries. He might have succeeded, too, had he not been too ambitious. China is a little smarter than that and is (for certain) stirring up the hornets to ensure that they are ready to "defend" their "territory".
Of course I'm athletic, I SURF the internet daily!

marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

No one is suggesting appeasement. This, however, was unnecessary provocation in one of the world’s most sensitive geopolitical hotspots and risked starting a third world war.

SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

Allowing China to dictate who can and who cannot visit Taiwan is appeasement.
It was only provocative if China chose to make it so.
The geopolitical sensitivity is purely down to China's demand to take over areas internationally agreed to be free space or to belong to other nations and make them part of its fiefdom. Allowing them to do this is appeasement.
No risk at all of WW3, although aggressive Li Keqiang isn't Vladimir Putin.