Food, Glorious Food

The general chat & discussion area .
SRD
Rantipole

Food, Glorious Food

Post by SRD »

We supply our Post lady with surplus fruit from our garden and empty jars which she puts to good use making jams and chutneys. We're not great eaters of jam or chutney so, in return, she occasionally supplies us with fresh eggs from her hens. Today for lunch we had a couple of lovely boiled eggs apiece (with buttered toast soldiers) followed by a couple of fresh apricots from one of the trees in our garden. Bliss!
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla
noescape

Re: Food, Glorious Food

Post by noescape »

that does sound like bliss
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

We're hoping to have a BBQ at the weekend and have purchased a whole salmon fillet of beef (so called because it looks a bit like a side of salmon). I'm thinking of marinading it in balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and cracked coriander and black pepper. Sites I've visited suggest marinading for up to 6 hours but I'm thinking of giving it much longer. Any suggestions anyone?
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla
Little John

Post by Little John »

The thing you will have to consider, is can you do this in the fridge? will it fit in the fridge with the marianade? Sounds rather large so you'll need a large container to hold it and the whole thing would have to go in the fridge and be flat. On the other hand, it wouldn't hurt to leave it out over night in your pantry place provided you cover it. If the weather is hot, I wouldn't recommend leaving it out of the fridge for much longer.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

No problem with shape or size regarding either the fridge or the pantry. I could freeze a whole load of cool-bag blocks and put them and the marinading meat (in a dish of some sort) in a box with a load of insulating materials. If they could cook with hay boxes in the past no reason why a similar system couldn't be used to keep stuff cool.
SRD
Rantipole

Nachos Pie

Post by SRD »

You know how it is, you fancy a nice platter of nachos, open up the packet of Nachips or tortilla chips and half the contents are broken or, worse still, crumb, which hangs around in the bag 'til the oil in them goes rancid and unpalatable.

Here's a way to enjoy the flavours of nachos and use up those broken bits as well.

Little John

Post by Little John »

They do something like that in some pubs. Basically just a pile of nachos covered in cheese.
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

I've never seen it made as a pie, just a platter with a single layer of Nachips.
Little John

Post by Little John »

They normally serve them in a desert dish. Terribly messy. And none of your special ingredients.
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

One of my favourite starters in curry houses was prawn puri, a zingingly hot prawn curry on a crisp pancake. Once I'd been diagnosed as having a wheat allergy a couple of visits to local curry houses convinced me that the language barrier was such that I daren't risk eating there.
I'd been taught Indian cookery by the English wife of a Gujerati Indian friend but her cooking was very much vegetarian based so I'd had a hankering for those dishes I'd enjoyed so much but now had to go without. Again Google came to my aid and, from various sources, I put together this recipe.
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

We were late last night; the gig didn't finish 'til nearly 11 followed by a 30 minute drive home, then supper of cheese and biscuits then I listened to an hour of the cricket, so we had a bit of a lie in this morning, followed by various phone calls which had to be made so we decided on brunch, which we've just finished; bacon from Sandridge Farms, eggs from a local farm, black pudding from Boyton Farm, the last of the English tomatoes from our local greengrocer and rye bread from Hobbes bakery. With a cup of Lavazza black espresso coffee to wash it all down it was superb. Sorry, no picture of the food, there's the licked plate if you want?
Little John

Post by Little John »

I would have accepted the licked plate if the picture had included the actual licking process itself.
SRD
Rantipole

The White Lion, Bourton

Post by SRD »

We went out for lunch yesterday and decided to try a place we hadn't been to for ages and which has had a succession of owners in the meanwhile. It's an attractive, atmospheric place, busy with walkers, locals, visitors, drinkers and diners. The meal had its faults but it was still pretty good, we'll be going back.

Full review here.
SRD
Rantipole

Food, Glorious Food

Post by SRD »

So who's for haggis tonight? We will be, with mashed tatties, neeps and other root vegetables, a whisky gravy and a dram to wash it down.
Little John

Post by Little John »

WE couldn't find any! Which is unusual because every year before, the shelves - or rather the cooler - has been full of them and we normally buy a few and freeze them. But this year there were none to be found. mind you, there were no crackers at Christmas, either.

We are quite disappointed as this is one of our annual traditions. But I've got the water of life (uisge beatha) so we are half way there.