Premium Bonds

The general chat & discussion area .
marymary
Global Moderator

Premium Bonds

Post by marymary »

My friend wanted to buy more premium bonds and went to the Post Office which was mistake number one as they can, apparently, only be done online these days. Mistake number two is that he has had bonds since he was little and has added to them over the years as he moved from town to town for work. To buy bonds now he needs to find his “identity” with ERNIE. He can’t remember which email account and password he has and the certificates themselves are somewhere in boxes in storage.

Presumably the difficulty he is experiencing is due to money laundering regulations but by being honest that he has some already he is now finding it impossible to buy more. The system won’t confirm if the email he is using is right or wrong but isn’t allowing a password reset either.

I know at least one of you has bonds. Are they worth the hassle he is describing?
Little John

Re: Premium Bonds

Post by Little John »

And you can only buy blocks of £100. I came across this when I had an ISA (or whatever they are now) mature and didn't know what to do with it. So I struggled against all that adversity and bought more bonds. I think it worked out ok, though and I think I'm certainly no worse off than if I'd stuck it in a building society. I have about £10,000 in bonds now. I never won anything with the £7 worth of bonds bought on my 7th birthday.

Their records are good, though. He could write to them and give them the information he has and they could probably sort him out. (I was about to change "he" and "him" to gender non-specific terms because it occurred to me that you said "my friend" but you do say later on that it was a "he".
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")