Planning to get rid of parking

The general chat & discussion area .
marymary
Global Moderator

Planning to get rid of parking

Post by marymary »

There are plans to change the layout of the street I live on.

To give context several years ago an unsupervised child ran out onto the road and was killed by through traffic. Since then the limit has been reduced to 20 and really big chicanes have been put in place. A “come and look at the plans” event is planned for tomorrow but it looks as if they are going to perhaps ban parking completely or put in speed bumps or priority arrows.

What is your street like?
7761DAFE-FBF6-4E42-9DD1-BCAC1E0CFA2F.jpeg
This is mine.
Little John

Re: Planning to get rid of parking

Post by Little John »

It is a narrow road but doesn't look very busy. And where would they expect you to park?
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

The other night when I got home there wasn’t a single spot because they were inducting the new minister. There are peak times and the parking stops two way traffic. I think they will need to open up the castle car park perhaps, or the doctors’ surgery one if they close off car parking to folk. There was some talk of narrowing the pavement to have parking bays further in but the last thing we need is more traffic vibrations closer to the foundations.
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

I live in a cul-de-sac made up of blocks of mainly Council owned maisonettes, there are also 3 bungalows split into 5 properties (granny annexes). The maisonettes have dedicated parking spaces (1 for each) and the bungalows are expected to park on their own property. However some of the residents have commercial vehicles (including an articulated lorry) and trailers so it can get pretty busy but as a large proportion of the Council tenants don't have vehicles we manage Ok. In the rest of the town we have a couple of free car parks and a lot of on street parking as well as on private property but parking is still a perennial problem, especially in the narrower streets. With building regs only requiring 1 off street parking space per new property built coupled with the lack of local employment and public transport it's a situation that can only get worse.

Mind you, it's not as bad as a mate who lived in Fulham, parking was only allowed on street for resident permit holders and each property only got one permit so, on the dot of six pm, when the traffic wardens went off duty, the streets were all completely double parked leaving only enough space down the middle to get a car and, on the dot of 8am when the wardens came back on duty, all those double parked cars vanished.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

I had a long chat with the engineer tonight. The painted bays are going but people will still be able to park there according to him. Priority arrows, roundels, light up road signs and red paint on the ground are all going to feature. 🤨
digger
Sys_op.

Post by digger »

Little John wrote: March 10th, 2019, 3:38 pm It is a narrow road but doesn't look very busy
It can be busy , I've got a DC mov. file of going through it
I'd post it if I can edit it to be a bit shorter … especially the curse near the roundabout with the car in front coming to a complete halt at a obviously clear give way :oops:

windows movie maker is not playing ball
Little John

Post by Little John »

That wasn't MM's car, was it?
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
digger
Sys_op.

Post by digger »

Not this time 😈