Lock down pond

The general chat & discussion area .
Little John

Lock down pond

Post by Little John »

We had a couple of flower beds set into our concrete terrace. Since we didn't spend a lot of time in our garden in summer, they became a bit of a jungle of weeds. So, when I started cutting back the brambles due to "lock down" I discovered we had frogs and toads.

So, I dug up the flower beds, enlarged one by cutting through the concrete and buried the rubble in the other.

Sieved a load of soil into the hole, got rid of the sharp bits, lined the hole with bits of old carpet, bought a small liner and lined the edges with the most aesthetic lumps of rubble.

Then, drilled a hole in an old frying pan, inserted an old plumbing joint, stuck it on to a bit of plastic down pipe and, after cutting a slot for a bit of hose, stuck it in an old sweet box filled with sand, stuck an old flower pot on top of that and fixed up a pump.
IMG_20200608_105344.jpg
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
Victor

Re: Lock down pond

Post by Victor »

It looks a little otter in your garden. :)
Little John

Post by Little John »

Not as 'ot as it was in May.
Little John

Post by Little John »

I made a mistake weighing down the base with soft sand. The fountain stirred it up and it got into the water making it cloudy. It does clear if left alone for a couple of days. I've got some bricks and cement coming tomorrow to replace the rotten lower timber in our "garden building" so I'll mix some with the sand in the base.