Gardening

The general chat & discussion area .
marymary
Global Moderator

Gardening

Post by marymary »

I wondered if it might be good to have a separate area for gardening hints and tips here in the open area?

My garden is currently undergoing a makeover in stages. So far:

Two trees cut down, chipped and removed - 30 minutes with the right equipment

Budleia and Ivy cut way back adding two feet onto the usable garden space - this tripped my wiring because the flex caused a fuse to go on the hedge trimmer and my junction box - An hour and a half.
Little John

Re: Gardening

Post by Little John »

Who was wielding the hedge trimmer
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

The trainee...
Little John

Post by Little John »

Easily done.
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

We put any electric tools through a contact breaker in the plug socket, saves no end of hassle, but most of the contractors/gardeners down here use battery or petrol powered tools.
We've got a new gardener this year and that, along with lockdown, has prompted me to get a bit more involved. Hedges, which had been allowed to get out of control, have been cut back hard, the lawn, which was mainly moss, has been scarified and resown (the pigeons were very grateful) and parts of the lawn have been left uncut to encourage wild flowers, we've planted a flowering cherry, a rowan and a eucalyptus. I've bought some firethorn shrubs to fill in gaps in the hedging which are currently being nurtured in pots before being planted out, as are various other perennials to go in the borders. Plans are afoot to turn a steep bank, currently grassed over, into a shrubbery/border with insect attracting plants and I've ordered dogwoods & hydrangeas to go into the shrubbery area at the bottom of the garden to give interest throughout the year rather than the bank of forsythia which, although glorious in the spring, is a bit monotonous for the rest of the year.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla
Little John

Post by Little John »

I've brought back our hedge trimmer from the caravan to tidy up our grapevine. It's entangled in the fence which is being renewed. But it's also very old and out of control abd, although it does produce grapes, they are very small. A bit of pruning might yeald fewer but larger grapes.
Little John

Post by Little John »

Actually, reading that reminds me that I noticed some nice large bunches of red grapes on the Vine. Must go an pick them before they
Rot.

But the main purpose of posting was I had a serious thought about digging up one lot of brambles and doing a bit of veg next year.
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

Veg gardening can be both rewarding and depressing. It gives one the chance to grow unusual stuff and varieties that don't make it into the shops because they don't travel well. Also to harvest very young, when was the last time you saw broad beans small enough to eat in the pod? and the thinnings from things like carrots and leeks, no more than a little finger in length, are absolutely delicious. But coping with pests and diseases is a nightmare.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla
Little John

Post by Little John »

I was a proper chemo warrior. Weed killer, pest killer, slug killer, chemical fertiliser......