Japan - Covid Vaccine

The general chat & discussion area .
Quaver

Re: Japan - Covid Vaccine

Post by Quaver »

Chiba prefecture (where I live) is going to start vaccinating older people from 5th April :hiya:
Chiba city (where my parents live) has the highest incidences of Covid, so they are going to get it first, followed by other cities, and my city is going to get it on the week starting on the 19th.

I wonder who'll get it first, my dad 85, mum 78 (in Chiba city) or my MIL 92 (living with us) :?:

https://www.msn.com/ja-jp/news/national ... d=msedgntp
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

I hope they all get it quickly.
Quaver

Post by Quaver »

A bit of an update:

Chiba city (where my parents live, and highest no. of Covid infection in the prefecture) has started vaccinations at old people's homes from the 8th April. Normal old people should start receiving their vaccine tickets from end of April, and actual vaccinations from mid-May.
No vaccine has arrived at our city yet.

The 4th wave has started in Japan, where the UK mutation of the virus is getting its foothold.
The Olympics is still on, but without overseas spectators. The torch relay has been cancelled in some areas:https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-08/ ... /100055068
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

We don’t seem to hear much about Japan suffering waves here. My daughter was supposed to have Japan and South Korea as part of her visiting remit in her newish job but all travel is banned for work at the moment.
Little John

Post by Little John »

She dont 'arf get about!
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

I am unaware of the impact of COVID on Japan. I'm not so naive as to think that there has been little impact over there. How has the Japanese Govt responded to this pandemioc?
Of course I'm athletic, I SURF the internet daily!
Quaver

Post by Quaver »

First wave was last Spring (the big one when most shops closed), second was autumn (not a biggie), third one that started in Jan and finished in March (2 and half months) was only for big cities. The 4th is just starting.

Main difference is that the 4th one is the mutant UK Covid, so more contagious and spreads faster, and are more deadly.

One of the reason it is not on your news, is because not many people are interested in what Japanese are doing :lol:
Also as we are not testing as many as we should, the numbers are relatively low.
And they won't record cause of death as Covid, if they haven't tested the dead people.

Japanese government likes opening borders, but the Japanese public still have this mentality that the virus came from abroad, so don't want to open the borders.

The vaccine needs to gets going soon (the prime minister has had his two doses already).
Quaver

Post by Quaver »

Leigh wrote: April 10th, 2021, 9:40 am I am unaware of the impact of COVID on Japan. I'm not so naive as to think that there has been little impact over there. How has the Japanese Govt responded to this pandemioc?
They seem to be more concerned with the impact on the economy.
Quaver

Post by Quaver »

My brother-in-law (sister's husband) has now got the date for both his vaccines (May & June).
He is 65. Seems their city decided to do it by over 65s first.
Their city is close to Tokyo.

My parents' city has decided to do over 80s first (dad is 85), but they haven't received anything yet.
Their city has the highest no of infections in our prefecture, but also has the largest population.

My city haven't received our first shipment yet.

It is a case of postcode lottery here too, but according to the news, once you get the letter, you have to book a slot via web or phone.
There was one in the news where all the allocated slots were filled up within minutes, and the website said so, but not the phone, so people kept calling all day...
Quaver

Post by Quaver »

My parents got the vaccine voucher today. Over 80s (dad) can book their slot from Wednesday.
My parents are out that morning, so I'll be on the phone/internet.
BIL did it on the internet, but looking online, my parents' clinics within their walking distance only have phone numbers (not online) :cry:

I've picked one. It's open from 7:30am, so I should be able to do it at home (not at work).
If that's full, then the next one opens at 9am which is a really awkward time, but not impossible, if the call is short...

There's a biggish hospital which seems to do online bookings, but my mum says they are all communists :shock:
I said the vaccines are more important. If you need to become a communist to get the vaccine, then that's what you'll have to do :lol:
Quaver

Post by Quaver »

Called the clinic up at 7:30am this morning, but they said as dad is not a patient here blah blah, but I persisted and they said they'll call back, and they did and got appt for the first day (11th May) 🎉

Dad has never been to any of the local clinics or hospitals, only the ones in Tokyo. The voucher is only valid in the city of residence.

The doctors all said it is ok to have the vaccine so it should be fine😎
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

Imagine if you were elderly and didn’t have a lot of confidence about taking on the professional on the other end of the phone.
Quaver

Post by Quaver »

They'll probably give up. It would have been easier if they just sent us a date, place and time, and for us to call them if we want to change it.
Quaver

Post by Quaver »

MIL's Covid vaccine vouchers arrived yesterday.
DH is not going to give the voucher to her though. He's worried about side effects (blood clots) :(
She is his mum, so I'm not going to interfere.
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

Well, except that it’s her decision, not his. 💁🏼‍♀️