Record-high temps in parts of U.S.

The general chat & discussion area .
Scholar

Record-high temps in parts of U.S.

Post by Scholar »

http://hp2.wright-weather.com/icons/us_heat.gif

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather- ... ada/969616

Temps between 110 and 116 F in various places. One news headline said roads in Seattle were buckling. :o :o :o
Little John

Re: Record-high temps in parts of U.S.

Post by Little John »

Very odd. Canada, too!!!
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

It’s almost as if there’s climate change. 💁🏼‍♀️
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Climate changes all the time. Just wait a few minutes.
Of course I'm athletic, I SURF the internet daily!
Scholar

Post by Scholar »

The climate change controversies are mostly about whether CO2 release because of human action is driving climate change, and--if so--what to do about it. Some people reasonably point out that if some countries reduce their smokestack CO2 emissions in connection with manufacturing, and the plants shut down, but the demand for the manufactured goods leads to buying them from countries which are building coal-burning electrical plants to power the manufacturing (e.g. China), there is no net reduction in the CO2 emissions. In fact, there is an increase, because fuel is burned to transport the manufactured goods to countries that formerly made more of their own products.

I remember an early famous challenger to man-made global warming pointed out that the theory required that CO2 have a much greater heat-retention effect than it has been known to have. An unknown multiplier of the effect was needed for the math to work as the theory required. I have never yet read about a demonstration that the greater warming effect of CO2 has actually ever been observed. Now, this doesn't absolutely mean the theory is wrong--I don't know the basis for the original accepted CO2 heat-retention coefficient. But, it wouldn't be all that hard to test it--set up a controlled environment, introduce different amounts of CO2 with a measured amount of heat energy added to the environment (perhaps by sunlight or artifical light), and measure the temperature, charting the heat retention.
Scholar

Post by Scholar »

I might add--I am happy to publicize record-setting cold temperatures for thoughtful people to consider, who were urged to expect gradually warmer temperatures in the early man-made global warming theories. You don't really expect extreme colder temperatures if the climate is warming up, do you? But, fairness requires that I acknowledge when hot temperatures become part of the data, too.
Little John

Post by Little John »

Scholar wrote: June 30th, 2021, 12:45 am You don't really expect extreme colder temperatures if the climate is warming up, do you?
https://www.earthday.org/explained-glob ... ar-vortex/

Yes. Climate change will change usual patterns and can bring colder, wetter, winters along with hotter summers. But the average temperature is generally increasing, notably at the poles where the ice is melting, adding to the rise in sea levels.
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

Interesting isn't it that so many doubting thomases are capable of believing the most outlandish things.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

I taught very clever people in the USA. I don’t understand why so many Americans are ill informed. It’s not that they are less intelligent so it must be something else. Indoctrination by mass media vested interests perhaps.
Little John

Post by Little John »

I was wondering about this this morning. What makes conspiracy believers tick? Flat Earthers, Climate change deniers, creationists etc etc. Why do they insist on standing out regardless? I suppose a few believe passionately and try to educated the world but many many more don't seem inspired to do anything about this world conspiracy to deny the "truth". They just continue with their mantras.
Lady P

Post by Lady P »

Our friend gets into conspiracy theories in a big way
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57742482

North America experienced its warmest June on record, according to the EU's Earth observation programme.
That will come as no surprise given the unprecedentedly high temperatures recently recorded during the heatwave that hit Canada and parts of the US.
But UK residents may be startled to learn that despite the rain and cloud they experienced, it was the second warmest June on record for Europe.
It was also the fourth warmest June ever recorded worldwide.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Can't even blame Trump for all the hot air......................
Of course I'm athletic, I SURF the internet daily!
Little John

Post by Little John »

Leigh wrote: July 8th, 2021, 8:17 am Can't even blame Trump for all the hot air......................
Maybe just a little?
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

:rotf: :giggle: