Problems in the Scottish NHS

The general chat & discussion area .
marymary
Global Moderator

Problems in the Scottish NHS

Post by marymary »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-58631668

A thousand extra acute beds are needed to help relieve the "unrelenting pressure" facing Scotland's emergency departments, doctors have claimed.
The Royal College of Emergency Medicine said many A&E units were struggling because there are too few beds available elsewhere in hospitals.
Scottish ministers will later update Holyrood on plans to bolster the NHS.
Health Secretary Humza Yousaf said £12m of extra funds had already been announced for non-Covid emergency care.
It beggars belief that the Louisa Jordan temporary hospital was dismantled to prepare for COP 23.

Of course it’s not the lack of beds that is the problem but the lack of available staff. Apparently nurses have been going off long term sick with stress because they were being moved from their area of expertise to other wards as required. Doctors who are less unionised are being sent all over the country, not just to different wards.
noescape

Re: Problems in the Scottish NHS

Post by noescape »

It is scary but the pingdemic is making things worse. There has been mention that some nurses want to leave the profession due to burnout from the pandemic, which makes me even angrier about these halfwits claiming its a hoax!

Between nursing shortages (which are not a new thing btw hospitals have been understaffed for years), the army having to help out the ambulance service, GPs refusing to see patients face-to-face and hospital waiting times getting longer all the time, NHS Scotland is a disaster at the moment, but I would still rather have the NHS than an American type system (I say that even after having some treatments done on private medical insurance)

As for COP 26, it perhaps should be an online event given how case numbers are in Scotland and I cant see them improving as we move into Winter - last thing we really need is international delegations flying in from all over the world.
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

noescape wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 3:13 pm It is scary but the pingdemic is making things worse. There has been mention that some nurses want to leave the profession due to burnout from the pandemic, which makes me even angrier about these halfwits claiming its a hoax.
I have been pilloried on the local page on FB because I said the “newspaper “ was dangerous. Several people claim it’s an “opinion” as is compliance with Covid restrictions. It’s quite astonishing to me how far this hoax narrative has spread. Science versus cranks sitting at home on the internet… Jesus wept.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Of course it's true, don't you read Faceache or TWITter? :D
Of course I'm athletic, I SURF the internet daily!