How do you store your butter?

The general chat & discussion area .
marymary
Global Moderator

How do you store your butter?

Post by marymary »

I only use butter on toast which means that if I leave it out it goes off but if it’s in the fridge it’s unspreadable. I do not like thick butter.

The spreadable “butters” have oils and suchlike to make them run a bit more and are much more expensive than a simple butter.

The solution is to go back to what my granny did. She made butter curls and put them in a dish with water and/or ice chips to keep it fresh till needed. My walking friend showed me the French method which is like an inverted egg cup which sits surrounded by cold water.
EF1F7823-5C0D-47EB-9481-BBCC6F75D50F.jpeg
Little John

Re: How do you store your butter?

Post by Little John »

We keep a bit in a small tupperware container but the main bit in the fridge. But the "curls" are a good idea.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

Fridge, and bread, sliced and seperated with film, in the freezer. That way we can have whatever bread we prefer whenever we want it and spreading fridge butter on frozen bread is easy.
Also we waste absolutely no bread especially as MrsSRD's crusts (which she can't eat) get made into bread pudding.
Should I need to butter unfrozen bread I mash the butter for a few seconds with the blade of a knife (a tip my paternal grandmother gave me).
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla
Lady P

Post by Lady P »

If you keep a small bit out of the fridge, find a cool place to store, which I guess must be fairly easy in Scotland. Of course on a a rare really hot day, leaving in the fridge would be no problem.

Personally. I prefer butter especially on toast. We had Flora spread for years and I was ok with it but it went through changes with different versions of Flora on the market so I went off of it.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

I like butter but have to keep it in the fridge. Most of the time, however, I buy a cheap spread which is easier to spread than butter as it also has to live in the fridge.
Of course I'm athletic, I SURF the internet daily!
Quaver

Post by Quaver »

I keep butter in the fridge, and put it on the already half toasted bread in the grill, and leave it there until it melts enough to be spreadable. Complicated, but it goes well with my putting away the dishes from last night routine,