Oh the irony!

The general chat & discussion area .
Little John

Oh the irony!

Post by Little John »

Just heard on the, Today Programme (rádio 4) that the hot dry weather is causing problems for power stations. Water shortages means less hydro electricity but the most ironic thing was that solar panels do not work well above 25°C!
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
SRD
Rantipole

Re: Oh the irony!

Post by SRD »

I seem to remember the article on the Today programme was about Europe's power shortages and I think they said "as well". Peak efficiency for solar panels is between 15C & 35C (https://fortune.com/2022/07/19/europe-s ... peratures/). Anyway, if Germany hadn't got cold feet after the Japanese sunami damage to nuclear power stations (despite the fact that if Germany were to suffer sunami damage then we'd already be in hell without a handcart) then a major part of the latest energy crisis would have been averted as they wouldn't be so reliant on Russian supplies of fossil fuels.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

I agree with you there Simon. Nuclear can be the safest from of energy we have so far, but sheeple are so "scared" of the big bad atom!
Of course I'm athletic, I SURF the internet daily!
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

When I lived in Iraq my brother in law worked in a power plant called something like Al-Habbaniyah
ٱلْحَبَّانِيَّة
Habbaniyah - surrounded by a tourist area. He claimed that Iraq was producing secret nuclear energy at a time when Iraq was a friend of the West. Obviously once the West started looking for WMD I wondered if I knew a state secret or was as bad as Tony Blair. Nuclear energy is safe, until it isn’t. Sometimes it a catastrophic failure, and sometimes it’s a despotic leader which causes the danger.

I stayed at the resort in 1990 . This article references an airbase but no power plant- https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2019/ ... mong-ruins
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Safety of Nuclear power can be to best. You are correct, Mary, until it isn't. The problem being those in control of it. In Oz we have plenty of open space even near the coast where Nuclear power could be generated and we have a stable geo-political landscape but for the noisy minority. All shouting Chernobyl, 3 mile island and Fukushima. Only one of those could really be called a "natural" disaster.
Of course I'm athletic, I SURF the internet daily!