The Churchfitters

Discussions on all types of music
SRD
Rantipole

The Churchfitters

Post by SRD »

Another great night's entertainment; the Churchfitters play their own arrangements of traditional and self-penned tunes over a driving rock rhythmn. With instruments ranging from fiddle to saw, from alto sax to a drum set up that a one man band would be proud of, all the way to Boris' home made guitars. I've seen scrap yards with fewer pieces of old car & motorcycle and Boris (who looks and acts like the idiot son of some weird experiment between Max Schreck and Lurch until he actually starts playing, then there's nothing idiotic about him) had also put together another of his creations, bass drum shoes, which pretty much made up for the lack of their regular percussionist. A good decision by the band given the size of the David Hall, full kits can be somewhat overpowering there and would certainly have made their stage show impossible.
Good vocals, maybe they could have been turned up a tad and Rosie could certainly do with a head mic to improve their show, having to keep returning to a fixed one did cramp her style a bit and Chris is a fine folk fiddler and a dab hand at the aforementioned saw, even if his puns are more than a little painful.
The show itself has more than a tad of parody about it but the contrast between Status Quo type dance routines and the bleakness of many traditional folk lyrics was highly entertaining.

There are an awful lot of good musicians out there playing superb music, and this lot were no exception, but the Churchfitters also put on a show, something some of the younger outfits might bear in mind as they're slogging round the circuit playing to half-filled halls.

Which brings up another point, how is that a band of moderately talented musicians playing nothing but covers of 30/40/50 year old pop music can pack out venues but musicians of quality with their own styles and approaches can't garner an audience of 50? It's all very well having campaigns to keep venues open and to keep music live, but what's the point if no bugger turns out to actually see them?

Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla
Little John

Re: The Churchfitters

Post by Little John »

I'll play that when I get home rather than use up my mobile allowance. Good review, though.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")