City of London Sinfonia

Discussions on all types of music
SRD
Rantipole

City of London Sinfonia

Post by SRD »

Excellent concert last night with the City of London Sinfonia conducted/directed by Michael Collins. The first half started with Britten's Folk Song Suite, an excellent intro to Finzi's Clarinet concerto which was beautifully played with the music weaving back and forth between clarinet and strings, I'm inclined to agree with Michael Collins at the pre-concert talk when he said he thought that directing from the soloist's position means the orchestra are far more involved in the piece.
The second half opened with the CLS leader, Alexandra Wood, soloing in Vaughan Williams 'The Lark Ascending' and a fine job she made of it, possibly a little heavy to start with, but she does have a fuller style in general.
I was bothered somewhat by the inclusion of Beethoven 7 as a finale, what had the vigour and rthymicality of the seventh symphony to do with the lilting melodic lines of the English composers? But in concert it worked brilliantly with the state of gentle serenity induced by the Finzi and the 'Lark' being blasted apart with the orchestra giving it large and bringing the concert home to applause the like of which I've not heard for a long time at a classical music concert.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla
Little John

Re: City of London Sinfonia

Post by Little John »

"Giving it large"?

But a very impressive knowledgeable review. I'm not familia with no7. I'll have to give it a listen. Might sneak it into our playlist tonight.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

Little John wrote:"Giving it large"?
I'm following in the footsteps of the BBC and trying to attract a younger audience by getting down with the young people.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla
Little John

Post by Little John »

We listened to no 7 last night. It's ok but not one of his best. Cheeky little tune with a quick turnaround. Almost like a folk tune.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

It's MrsSRD's favourite, and it's interesting that you thought it was like a folk tune, in the pre-concert talk, when its appearance in the programme was questioned, the director of the CLS said almost exactly that and that the programme was based on music inspired by folk ideas rather than directly from existing folk tunes. Beethoven himself thought of it as "one of my most important".

Which recording did you listen to?