Gwilym Simcock & Thomas Gould

Discussions on all types of music
SRD
Rantipole

Gwilym Simcock & Thomas Gould

Post by SRD »

Simcock is an exceptional exponent of modern jazz as well as a more than adequate classical pianist, Gould is the associate leader of the Britten Sinfonia amongst others.
The programme was based on Bach with straight renderings of a couple of the sonatas for violin & keyboard but with each movement linked with improvisations and a couple of Simcock's own arrangements of well known Bach pieces, "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring" and "Sheep May Safely Graze".
Added to that was an adaptation of Arvo Part's "Fratres" and a couple of other Jazz pieces.
Two brilliant musicians having great fun and presenting popular pieces in a new light, what's not to like? It was fantastic.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla
Little John

Re: Gwilym Simcock & Thomas Gould

Post by Little John »

You are certainly spoilt down there.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

How many concert halls can you get to within 40 minutes travelling?
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla
Little John

Post by Little John »

Yeah but there's travelling and travelling. For us it would mean a number of trains and tubes and delays.
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

We always factor in an extra 20 minutes travelling time in case we get stuck behind a tractor, a cyclist or a tourist, but you're pretty close to a station that runs to London Bridge and that's only a step away from the Globe & the South Bank Centre. I suspect that Greenwich, the Tramshed etc. are a bit more problematic but I think you can get to Bromley & even the Fairfield Hall in Croydon in the car and there's plenty of parking there. And from the caravan there's Orpington & Dartford Folk Clubs and the village hall at New Ash Green has various gigs on. At least you're not limited to venues that can take a powered wheelchair.
Little John

Post by Little John »

We used to be regulars at the Tram Shed when we lived in New Cross and in Woolwich itself. But it turned into a dance school last time I looked. Shame. We saw a number of excellent people there. Jake Thackory, Neil Innis, the Tramshed Foundation.
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

I keep forgetting, it's been 30 years since I haunted S.E. London, I have a feeling that Forest Hill has a couple of pubs that do music.
Little John

Post by Little John »

Not that I know of. There used to be loads but then the Government brought in that limit on the music license that kept the number of musicians down to two. The Rutland Arms - which is nearly Forest Hill, used to have some excellent jazz and blues bands but that shut a few years back.
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

There are plenty of good duos, and anyway those restrictions have been relaxed, the licensing has changed again since then.
but there are a few venues here:
http://www.southlondonclub.co.uk/blog/8 ... n-lewisham

and here:
http://louderthanwar.com/8-south-london ... ust-visit/
Little John

Post by Little John »

I know a few of those well. Specially the Fox and Firkin. Our Adam's band has played there a few times.