Discussions on all types of music
SRD
Rantipole

Cadman Cafe

Post by SRD »

Cadman Cafe
Grove Building, Mere
20/06/18

An entertaining evening presented by Danielle Sharp under the auspices of the Cadman Café with an eclectic range of acts from Barbershop to Blues with a healthy chunk of Singer/Songwriter thrown in for good measure.
Although there were covers, an excellent arrangement of "Scarborough Fair" well compensated for a dire "God Only Knows" from the Spoonfeds Barbershop quintet, Holly Morwenna's fine "Say a Little Prayer" and Kachina Aimee's traditional "I'll Tell My Ma" stood out particularly, the strength of the evening's music was the self-penned numbers. Based on personal experiences but with none of the twee sentimentality so often associated with such material the pieces were well presented and accompanied by as good a musicianship as you'll find anywhere outside the full professional circuit.
The programming was excellent, building to a lively climax with the Blues based duo of Al O'Kane & Andy Hill
Assisted by a raft of helpers Danny not only presented the music, laid on beer, Pimms, strawberries and cream, and shortbread but also showed her own musical versatility by harmonising with the Spoonfeds, singing a short set of her own songs and joining in with Al O'Kane & Andy Hill in their final number - and the fact that we won the massive hamper she'd put together for the raffle has absolutely nothing to do with this review.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla
Little John

Re: Cadman Cafe

Post by Little John »

I didn't read the bit at the top at first. Well, you don't, do you. I was about to google the Cadman Cafe to see where it was because it sounded excellent but home grown. And it was actually in Mere itself.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
SRD
Rantipole

Re: Cadman Cafe

Post by SRD »

Yup, it's sort of a pop-up arrangement.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla