"Silent" Discos

Discussions on all types of music
Little John

"Silent" Discos

Post by Little John »

It seems our caravan club is planning an out door "Silent Disco" next weekend. I have been to a few and the first time was interesting and different. But once was enough. The second and third time was increasingly disappointing and boring.

If you haven't been to one, the idea is to cut out the nuisance factor of loud late night discos, introduce an element of competition by having two or more competing DJs playing different music via Bluetooth headphones that light up different colours depending on what "channel" you are listening to.

But they are not "silent". People tend to sing along loudly and badly and consequently, "not from the same hymn sheet". And the sense of being at a party together is lost because everyone is in their own world. Take off the headphones and all you hear is a cacophony of bad singing. You can't talk with headphones on and taking them off takes you out of the party.

I think they are an expensive fad that was a good idea at the time. I feel sorry for the enterprising people who have invested in the equipment because it isn't cheap. But I won't be sorry to see the end of the craze.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
marymary
Global Moderator

Re: "Silent" Discos

Post by marymary »

I would have thought that one DJ would have been enough. I suspect it goes down well with the kids rather than the oldies.
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

From the days when I went to discos a loud cacophony of bad singing and unable to communicate with your neighbour just about sums them up.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla
digger
Sys_op.

Post by digger »

Having run discos for about ten years I found it easier to talk under the noise than try to shout over it. Silent disco to me is no atmosphere .and no point .