Grayson Perry's Big American Road Trip (Channel 4)

Sl's very own forum for your impressions on any film , downloaded , DVD/blueray , or cable/satellite TV films that might be of interest to users .
Little John

Grayson Perry's Big American Road Trip (Channel 4)

Post by Little John »

This short series of documentaries is well worth a watch. It's very thoughtful and thought provoking even if I'm not convinced that he totally proved his conclusions.

The first episode looked at race and so far for me it was the best. The most real and uncontrived. On the whole, those he interviewed were candid and honest without openly preaching until his encounter with the rich set.

The second episode was entirely about well off well educated white liberals who didn't irritate me as much as the rich black Americans. I suppose because they were more used to their privileges than their black counterparts.

Perry is very relaxed and manages to probe and poke and tease out honesty with a unique style that must have roots in his self-styled eccentricity. But he did have an agenda and was slightly guilty of confirmation bias in this episode IMHO.

Available on catchup
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
Little John

Re: Grayson Perry's Big American Road Trip (Channel 4)

Post by Little John »

Watched the final episode last night about Trump supporters. It was a bit of a summary of the series with his trademark artwork representing his conclusions.

Even so, it was interesting and thought provoking and one point, well made and about the series in general, was that facts are a poor weapon against feelings and that feelings are ignored at your peril.

The Bikers for Trump were more intriguing than frightening but what was more frightening than the way they looked was their Innate belief in Trump that was expressed honestly and devoutly. Turning that around will be a tough one but it's just one example of how feelings can defeat fact.
Last edited by Little John on October 7th, 2020, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
Lady P

Re: Grayson Perry's Big American Road Trip (Channel 4)

Post by Lady P »

Well worth watching if only to see Grayson's bike outfit. I think what Trump has managed to do with the Americans is use good old fashioned schmalz peppered with a belief that he speaks his mind