Thought For The Day

Sl's very own forum for your impressions on any film , downloaded , DVD/blueray , or cable/satellite TV films that might be of interest to users .
SRD
Rantipole

Thought For The Day

Post by SRD »

For those who don't listen to the Today programme on BBC Radio 4 'Thought For The Day' is a two minute slot, on between 7.45 - 7.50, when various religious people deliver a homily usually related to the affairs of the day.
I was struck by today's offering by a senior Church of England priest. They were suggesting that it might be better for nations/organisations/etc to be run from the bottom up rather than from the top down. I thought this more than a little hypocritical coming from a church that is extremely hierarchical, that represents a belief that is itself extremely hierarchical.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla
marymary
Global Moderator

Re: Thought For The Day

Post by marymary »

Ikwym. However this idea is promoted at length by a journalist Lesley Riddoch in articles and her book, “Blossom”.

She advocates community power and was involved in an island community buy out. I heard her speak at a local event and found her persuasive. A better type of democracy is appealing.

SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

It wasn't the idea, which is technically a form of political anarchy which may well work on the micro level but runs into problems on the macro level, but the hypocrisy of the speaker that prompted the post.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Might it be that, although he is in that hierarchy, he might actually be a rebel in said hierarchy? Not all politicians are there for the power or the money.
Of course I'm athletic, I SURF the internet daily!
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

Certainly some might consider her a rebel.