BBC "Sounds" - What's that about?

Sl's very own forum for your impressions on any film , downloaded , DVD/blueray , or cable/satellite TV films that might be of interest to users .
Little John

BBC "Sounds" - What's that about?

Post by Little John »

The BBC are really pushing their new "Sounds" thing on their website. I can't really grasp what is so different from before and why its so special. You can still find stuff on listen again but now its got a lot more confusing. The Bloke in charge of the news has just commented that "geriatric medicine has been very good for radio 4 because its kept their listeners alive". I can't deny that I am doing my bit to keep the drugs industry in employment but why do I need the brain test exercises to find stuff that I found quite easily in the past? - thank you very much!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
marymary
Global Moderator

Re: BBC "Sounds" - What's that about?

Post by marymary »

Trying to drum up clicks. It’s how many journalists are paid nowadays.
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

Sounds is their i-player for the radio. Technically you have to have a TV licence to use the i-player but it carried both radio & TV output. There were complaints that that meant Aunty was charging for radio access so they've separated them. And I agree, as do many others, it's a bugger to use.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla
Little John

Post by Little John »

But before they set it up, you could get everything from the radio section of the BBC website. Listen again (iplayer) and podcasts and everything. It used to be easy, well, at least it was what I was used to. Now I find myself going round in circles.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

They've separated the i-player so they can supply watched again content only to licence fee payers or subscribers. Listen again content has to be free to air like the radio. The Sounds 'app' is supposed to do this, it's also supposed to attract new young listeners hence the set up.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla