The Inns of Old England

Sl's very own forum for your impressions on any film , downloaded , DVD/blueray , or cable/satellite TV films that might be of interest to users .
marymary
Global Moderator

Re: The Inns of Old England

Post by marymary »

At the Blair Tavern when I worked there the laws changed about drink/driving. The Blair was out in the country and people either took the risk and drank or had a sober driver.
A local farmer, Dennis, as regular as clockwork came in for his two pints of Guinness and propped up the bar for the last half hour. He would then drive back to his farm. He became a soft target for the police. Gradually he lost his licence incident by incident so Dennis stuck to his tractor by day and his bicycle by night. We couldn’t believe it when the police pulled him over and breathalysed him on his bike. They said he was still over the limit while operating a vehicle.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

marymary wrote: March 19th, 2021, 9:13 am We couldn’t believe it when the police pulled him over and breathalysed him on his bike. They said he was still over the limit while operating a vehicle.
It has been known to happen here, too. If you decide you've had too much and decide to sleep it off in you car, if you have your keys in your pocket, you could still be done with "Drunk in Charge of a motor vehicle".
Of course I'm athletic, I SURF the internet daily!
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

A mate of mine who had a small holding, also used the pub, and worked behind the bar. He'd never had a driving licence but would travel the few miles from his home to the pub on his tractor, mainly off road but in those days agricultural workers could use the public roads to get from one field to another without having a licence.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

They still can if it is within a five mile radius. They don't need road tax either. They should pull over to let faster vehicles pass.... [insert hollow laugh here]
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Not in Oz, not registered, then it's not allowed on the road!
Little John

Post by Little John »

Leigh wrote: March 21st, 2021, 7:44 am Not in Oz, not registered, then it's not allowed on the road!
But do they need to travel on a road to get to different fields?
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Little John wrote: March 21st, 2021, 8:32 am
Leigh wrote: March 21st, 2021, 7:44 am Not in Oz, not registered, then it's not allowed on the road!
But do they need to travel on a road to get to different fields?
Sometimes, but not often, the local copper usually turns a blind eye.