King Henry IV part 1

Sl's very own forum for your impressions on any film , DVD/blueray , or cable/satellite TV films that might be of interest to users .
SRD
Rantipole

King Henry IV part 1

Post by SRD » July 8th, 2011, 8:07 am

Good production with excellent performances from Ben Mansfield (Hotspur) and Tom Mison (Prince Hal), good from the rest of the cast although I thought Phillip Voss a little camp as Worcester and Katie Lightfoot not really with it as Hotspur's wife (but it's not much of a part, just a cipher for Hotspur's priorities). David Yelland as the king started off poorly but came on well. Good set well lit. It's the first serious Shakespeare I've seen in a while and it's re-whetted my appetite for the form.

Part of the summer Peter Hall Company season of rep plays and is on again and again over the next few weeks. Well worth seeing if you can get to the Theatre Royal, Bath.

part 2 next week.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla

Little John

Re: King Henry IV part 1

Post by Little John » July 8th, 2011, 9:42 am

SRD wrote: url=http://www.theatreroyal.org.uk/]the Theatre Royal, Bath[/url].

part 2 next week.
Bit if a mini series is it?
Yes this is the real "Little John"

SRD
Rantipole

Re: King Henry IV part 1

Post by SRD » July 8th, 2011, 12:25 pm

It is usually the case that part 1 of anything is followed by part 2, but in Shakespeare's case he uses the two plays, which stand pretty well on their own, as a way of looking at a situation from two, rather different, aspects. Whether this was because he had different patrons for each play, political pressure was brought to bear, the national situation changed or he personally wanted to explore the two aspects is a moot point.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla