[sai feed '] My landlord wants six months' rent upfront'

The what's on guide in your area for Events , Shows & Festivals etc.
Zen
Salems AI

[sai feed '] My landlord wants six months' rent upfront'

Post by Zen »

Some tenants face big demands from landlords for upfront rent and there is no legal limit.

Read more
Enlightenment
Scholar

Re: sai feed 'My landlord wants six months' rent upfront'

Post by Scholar »

In the U.S., a number of states have had a ban on evictions, because of the worry of evicted people spreading COVID, and as mercy to people who were unable (or prevented) from working during the worst of the pandemic. The ban is ending in some states. It seems to be the case that large numbers of people just stopped paying rent, because there was no immediate consequence to them for doing so. One landlord mentioned that he was putting tenants out who owed him more than $25,000 dollars. People who have to show discipline to pay the rent each month found that, when they just didn't pay for several months, they weren't able to come up with it--which tells me either their income was interrupted, or they spent it on other things.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

The question that should be asked, though, is has he been paying rent every month since he paid his 6mths in advance. Typically you pay a Bond i.e. rent in advance and then, when you move out, all else being equal, you get your bond back.
Of course I'm athletic, I SURF the internet daily!
Little John

Post by Little John »

Or not. A lot of tennants struggle to get their deposit back. Our son and his partner fought against outrageous excuses for not refunding their deposit despite their compliance with all the requirements including a professional clean. But they didnt reckon on the tenacity of his partner.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
Leigh

Re: [sai feed '] My landlord wants six months' rent upfront'

Post by Leigh »

'Tus why I said "All else being equal", I understand the problem with some landlords, here, in Oz, we have the residential tenancies tribunal which is an independent body that administers the act.
Of course I'm athletic, I SURF the internet daily!