What are you reading at the moment?

Book Forum for your reviews and favourite authors
Little John

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

Post by Little John »

After the last two deep reads, I am now treating myself to Jack Dee's "Thanks for nothing".
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
digger
Sys_op.

Post by digger »

Life of Pi . Finding it extremely slow and not keen to pick it up again .
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

I didn't like it much and the film wasn't much better.
Little John

Post by Little John »

Oh I disagree! Mind you we saw the film in 3~D which was amazing. But the book had a lovely feel to it.

How far have you got? Is he on the boat yet?
digger
Sys_op.

Post by digger »

God no ! I'm shamed to say , he's just got his name . So as you can tell I'm really struggling to get into it .
Little John

Post by Little John »

Picine. For swimming pool

It does get better. Next its the Zoo and then the trip to Canada, I think.
Little John

Post by Little John »

I started reading a book I was given as a present. "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies". It is almost totally plagiarised from the original but with a bit of Zombie killing thrown in. Its supposed to be very funny but the Zombies are the only joke in it. I don't like doing it but I think I'm going to move on.
noescape

Post by noescape »

I think I have mentioned reading Debbie Macomber's books before, but I am currently reading her Blossom Street series in order - makes more sense than the random few I had already read. I really like this series, as each story is told mainly from the prospective of a main character but with shorter chapters throughout told from another character's and unusually for chicklit, one of the series has the main character as a man which is refreshing (thought the shorter chapters were all females).

Although the books are easy reading and are primarily love stories, they include other topics such as cancer, adoption, and setting up business. The characters are all a variety of ages - from school kids to retirees.

If you like chicklit, I highly recommend this and her other series which are equally good.
Little John

Post by Little John »

I had a friend at work who introduced me to the "Sharp" books - by Bernard Cornwell. He lent me a few but not in any order. I read quite a few in the end but because I never read them in order, I was never sure which ones I had read and which ones I hadn't.
Little John

Post by Little John »

I am near the end of Keith Richards "auto" biography. In quotes because I suspect its been cleaned up a lot by the co-author. I didn't like it at first but its really growing on me. I've got the hump with him a bit because he thinks its fine to turn up for a concert three hours late because, as he puts it "at least I turned up".
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

Some people aren't hungry enough to respect their audience.

Our latest novel is "Screams in the Dark" by Anna Smith. Anna Smith is a former journalist who worked in places like Kosovo. Journalist Rosie Gilmour has gotten herself into another - 3rd novel for this character - life threatening situation, and this time the action takes place between Glasgow and Bosnia, focusing on refugees and war criminals and tied in with Glasgow's gangland culture.It opens with a torso being fished out of a canal, the apparent suicide of a prominent Glasgow lawyer and an anti-immigrant protest at the Red Road flats in Glasgow.
Little John

Post by Little John »

The juxtaposition of Glasgow and Bosnia seems a bit ott.
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

Just about to begin Gone Again by Doug Johnstone. It is the book club book but when my daughter was staying last night she told me he was her course tutor/fellow for one creating writing course and really nice. He had Irving Welsh as his advisor when he was doing his PhD so I have high hopes.
Lady P

Post by Lady P »

I have been thinking about doing a book review but I feel a bit nervy, the kind of thing we had at school - write about your school holiday.

Here is a brref synopsis.

The Broker by John Grisham is a very typical JG book and involves new idendities and the main character being followed and bugged by someone.

The Keith Richards book was interesting especially as he spent the earlier part of his life about 10 miles from where we live. His opinion on his fellow band members was eye opening, Bill Wyman seems miles apart from KR and one difference is that BW did national service, it must have divided men at that time. Mick Jagger does not alway come across as KR's favourite person, someone did tell that MJ wrote his own autobiography but I have not found anything online, only biographies. However I think KR and MJ still remain friends.

One book I would recommed is Paying Guests by Sarah Waters. It may not suit everyone but one thing SW is good at is describing the time that she is writing about. This book is set around 1920 and centres around a mother and daughter who are not as well off as they were before the war. It gives an interesting view of that time with a feminist/lesbian slant
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

I have seen Tipping the Velvet and either read or saw Fingersmith. She certainly has an agenda but I guess that as most fiction promotes a heterosexual perspective she must feel it necessary to redress the balance.