What are you reading at the moment?

Book Forum for your reviews and favourite authors
Little John

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

Post by Little John »

Little John wrote:Part way through "Dear Bill Bryson" by a young fella called Ben Aitken. It is an unapologetic Bill Bryson copy but he's humour is slightly too young for me.
Now part way through the real Bill Bryson's own revisit of this Small Island. Called "The road to little Dribbling". Just as good and funny as expected and a lot more mature than Ben Aitken. Although I think Bryson has become a candidate for the "Grumpy old men" tv series.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
Little John

Post by Little John »

Neat the end of "The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto" by Mitch Albom. Another work of genius!
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

I just finished A Street Cat Named Bob and have begun A Week In December. Very different but both set in London.
Little John

Post by Little John »

'A,week in December" sounds familiar but then so does "A street cat named Bob" for obvious reasons - desire/Bob.
Little John

Post by Little John »

A portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Augustine Aloysius Joyce. I'm half way through which is a lot further than I got with Ulysses but then its a lot shorter book.
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

I read that in 6th year. Gone are the days when I read a book a week.
Little John

Post by Little John »

It is still hard going. I think there are only 4 or 5 actual chapters so its hard to break off for a bit and pick up exactly where you left off. And i keep forgetting that it was written over,a hundred years,ago.
Shiraz

Post by Shiraz »

Hi all,
At the moment I am reading:
In paperback: The Children Act by Ian McEwan (which I've already listened to on audio - my local book group choice (21 years old & going strong!) Very topical about a Judge who makes decisions that affects the lives of children.
In hardback: Leonard Cohen: Everybody Knows by Harvey Kubernik (a gift a couple of years ago - lovely picture book with interviews by people who knew Leonard)
On Kobo: Tin Man by Sarah Winman. A wonderful writer who I first discovered on audio reading When God was a Rabbit & A Year of Marvellous Ways. I highly recommend all of her books. Tin Man is a beautifully written novel about love, loss & loneliness & is both life-affirming & heart breaking. I will recommend it to my reading group when my turn comes around again.
On audio: The Midnight Rose by Lucinda Riley. I've listened to a few of this writer's novels. They're easy listening and tend to be sagas set in 2 time zones with links that gradually appear. It's OK but had I been reading it rather than listening, I probably wouldn't have got very far. I tend to do the majority of my reading via audio as the physical act of reading sends me to sleep. Listening means I can do other things at the same time. I became a complete audio addict when faced with mountains of ironing and cleaning during our B&B days (which came to an end 9 months ago).
Little John

Post by Little John »

Blimey! That is a lt of books at once! Mind you, if they are audio, i suppose its only like keeping up with The Archers, Poldark and the book at bedtime every week.
Shiraz

Post by Shiraz »

Hi John - there's a reason for so many. My bedtime reading is on my Kobo as I can have a very faint light and for some reason can read it without reading glasses which i need for iPad or paper books. That's a slow form of reading as I tend to fall asleep after a few pages.
The audio I cart around on my iPhone these days so listen whenever I have a few minutes doing something else that doesn't need much concentration.
My bookgroup books can be in any format but it's easier to have an actual book for discussion purposes and since this is my turn I bought the book as well as having got it on audio.
So I usually have a 'downstairs' 'proper book' for reading occasionally during the day which is the Leonard Cohen one. Hence 2 downstairs books this time.
Confused?? I try to avoid 2 similar books at the same time as I get confused - yes, it's happened.
Little John

Post by Little John »

We knew perfectly well of course that though it was bound to come to the light he would find considerable difficulty in endeavouring to try to induce himself to try to endeavour to ascertain the spiritual plenipotentiary and so we knew of course perfectly well
salem
dogsbody
Verified A/C ✅: muppet

Post by salem »

Some nice light reading there John , my eyes just went weird :o
But back on topic I'm currently reading
To die in Vienna by Kevin Wignall
Promo blurb as follows
Freddie Makin is a spy for hire. For a year he’s been watching Jiang Cheng, an academic whose life seems suspiciously normal. To Freddie it’s just a job: he never asks who’s paying him and why—until the day someone is sent to kill him, and suddenly the watcher becomes the watched.
Little John

Post by Little John »

Don't think I know any Kevin Wignal. What's he like?
Little John

Post by Little John »

Ran out of books so had a look at a kindle sample of "Laura" by Bernadine Everaristo. I liked what I read but its nearly £5 for the book. Have to negotiate with the kindle account holder. Its written in two line verses with sentences running into the next couplet. Lots of lovely alliterations but also some rather clumsy references to political stuff (which I agree with but thought the way she introduced them didn't fit with the rest).
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

We have a local service leaving pre loved books at your door £2 per book but you have to buy at least two. Good idea I think.