Peter May - The Lewis Man

Book Forum for your reviews and favourite authors
marymary
Global Moderator

Peter May - The Lewis Man

Post by marymary »

I downloaded this onto my iPad in error by clicking on the wrong Amazon button but decided to go ahead and read it even though I hadn't read The Black House.

The story revolves around Fin's former girlfriend and who her father really is. The book begins with a body recovered from a peat bog on the Isle of Lewis. The male Caucasian corpse is initially believed by its finders to be over 2000 years old, until they spot the Elvis tattoo on his right arm. The body, it transpires, is not evidence of an ancient ritual killing, but of a murder committed during the latter half of the 20th century. Due to earlier DNA samples not being destroyed it becomes clear that there is a familial link to Tormed Macdonald despite his claims of being an only child. Tormed has dementia so the book not only explores the murder, but also how we treat people who should be taken care of. Peter May reveals just enough to keep the reader reading on despite the fact that they know more than Fin. Religious bigotry and gangsters also feature and the climax ups the anti quite a bit. My only problem was that the bit that was a BIG REVEAL was guessed by me very early on. Maybe everyone does that though. Certainly worth the £3.99 I paid and there is a certain joy at buying a book in bed at midnight and having it there instantaneously.
Little John

Re: Peter May - The Lewis Man

Post by Little John »

Cheat!
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

I didn't know it was a test! ;0
Little John

Post by Little John »

Just closed the final page. Excellent book, possibly even better than the first. Lovely writer. Here is an excerpt from the start of chapter 34:--
Fin looked down out of the late afternoon at the ragged fingers of rock that reached out into the Minch, water breaking white all around them. Peat bog stretched away into the island's interior, scored and scarred by centuries of cutting. Loch a Tuath reflected the darkly ominous clouds gathering overhead.
An, MM, you did give the plot away a bit; not that it mattered too much. I was worried that the story was so near the end that the conclusion might be held over to the next book. But much to my delight the end was as good as every sentence before it.

Do you not think he is a brilliant new writer? And the setting is simply perfection as is his loving description of it.
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

Most of what I wrote is part of the blurb I think and books in this genre always have a BIG REVEAL, it's a genre marker. The most extraordinary thing about downloaded versions is that they come pre-highlighted if you so wish. Now that is useful for academic books but novels I'm not so sure about.

He does write well but he's been writing full time since 1978 and was a journalist before that. His Second Life phase sounds quite interesting.
Little John

Post by Little John »

How come Black House seems to be the first novel?