The Dry Jane Harper

Book Forum for your reviews and favourite authors
marymary
Global Moderator

The Dry Jane Harper

Post by marymary »

1231073A-C304-4C4B-9B19-50EA4EC9DF18.jpeg
1231073A-C304-4C4B-9B19-50EA4EC9DF18.jpeg (56.41 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
The Dry by Jane Harper is an investigation by a reluctant protagonist into the murder/suicide of a former friend and his family. Falk is there at the behest of Luke’s father because he doesn’t believe his son can have murdered his wife and son.

Falk has only returned because Luke’s Old Man knows that Falk lied about something important twenty years before when he also lived in this backwater town. Did I say backwater? No water would be more accurate because Australia is suffering from an El Niño drought and the atmosphere is incendiary.

Falk and the actual local cop, Raco, look into CCTV, old photos, ballistics and financial records, interview suspects and take a long time to get to the truth as everyone in Kiewarra has a secret or a nasty, mean streak.

Along the way there’s a double reveal: what happened to Ellie twenty years ago and what happened to Luke and his family.

Happily I can report that I didn’t guess the ending in advance and that is rare these days. Jane Harper has written a nuanced first novel in the whodunnit genre. Recommended.
Little John

Re: The Dry Jane Harper

Post by Little John »

Ellie? Australia? All sounds spookily close to home. Thinking of Leigh.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
marymary
Global Moderator

Re: The Dry Jane Harper

Post by marymary »

Lol. Oddly a few books and TV programmes I have read/watched lately have had a major character called Ellie. The latest was Der Pass on Sky.