Food, Glorious Food

The general chat & discussion area .
SRD
Rantipole

Re: Food, Glorious Food

Post by SRD »

We bought ours a few weeks back when they were reduced but there were still a few in the chiller cabinets this morning.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla
Little John

Post by Little John »

A bit odd reducing them before the actual date. But lucky you!

I bet you there are lots of them on the shelves tomorrow. We might do it on Friday instead. Then we can justify a bit more of the water of life.
Yes this is the real "Little John" (or it could be "colin")
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

They were already close to sell by, hence the reduction, I bought one and chucked it in the freezer.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla
Little John

Post by Little John »

Just as I predicted, there were loads of them on Wednesday when we sent supermarketing. So we are having our Burns supper tomorrow. Got the lot/ Cockaleeky soup, haggis with neeps and tatties, malt whisky and Drunken Laird for afters. And we got a spare in the freezer.
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

We're just settling down after a really nice curry; pork vindaloo, green soya beans with lemon and fennel and plain boiled rice. Pappadums, sweet mango pickle, hot lime pickle (made by our local chilli producer), chard pickle (made by a friend), tomato and onion salad and cucumber raita. The vindaloo could have had a bit more zing but it was all pretty good though I says it as shouldn't.
boatlady

Post by boatlady »

Do you make your own curry paste?
I've been trying, but only get aq fairly bland product - I think I'm scared of chillis
Little John

Post by Little John »

Edit: I was going to say you'll never get anywhere with curry paste if you afraid of chillis. But I have had some nice curries that haven't been that hot.
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

boatlady wrote:Do you make your own curry paste?
I've been trying, but only get aq fairly bland product - I think I'm scared of chillis
It depends on how quickly I need the curry, I was originally taught how to make curry by the English wife of a Gujerati Indian, much to the disgust of the womenfolk of his family she was considered the best cook amongst them but it was mainly simple vegetarian fare (superb though), the only ready-made paste she used was tandoori but I'll use madras for Coronation chicken and a vindaloo one as a base for a quick curry. We grow our own chillis and are fairly heat tolerant so if I have the time I'll cook from scratch.
Nimuae

Post by Nimuae »

I am going to have a lazy day today - but interesting - I am going to try out several different recipes for Mushroom soup. Might even invent one !
Aequam servare mentem.
marymary
Global Moderator

Post by marymary »

Nice recipe here http://www.cookuk.co.uk/soup_starter/Mushroom_soup.htm

I've also made a version with sherry in it.
Little John

Post by Little John »

And don't forget the mushrooms.
Nimuae

Post by Nimuae »

marymary wrote:Nice recipe here http://www.cookuk.co.uk/soup_starter/Mushroom_soup.htm

I've also made a version with sherry in it.

Thank you I have booked marked that one - would not have thought of adding flour - but will give it a try !
Aequam servare mentem.
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

Lots of cheap food producers use flour to thicken soup as it means they don't have to use more expensive ingredients.
SRD
Rantipole

Post by SRD »

I tried out a new salad last night; I'd had it at the White Lion in Bourton where they used it to accompany smoked salmon but I thought it would work better with a white fish, so, as I had bought a nice pollack fillet, I gave it a go.
I skinned and de-seeded a couple of large tomatoes then chopped the flesh into 5ml dice. I added a couple of tablespoons of small capers (if using the large ones they'll want halving). Then I sliced half a bulb of fennel horizontally, chopping the core bits into 5ml dice and halving the 'rings' and added it to the tomatoes and capers. With a tablespoon of lemon juice and salt & pepper to taste, that was it. I left it to marinade whilst preparing new boiled potatoes, simply grilled the fish with a bit of butter and chucked it all onto the plate with a bit of extra butter for the potatoes. It worked pretty well but the pollack was a little light in flavour, next time I'll try the salad with monkfish or salmon.
Nimuae

Post by Nimuae »

Sounds delicious - I will give it a try but have to admit I never skin or deseed tomatoes.

Had friends with me for the day yesterday - craft day - making Christmas Cards !! (sorry )
and for lunch I made Mushroom & Garlic soup, served with homemade crusty bread, for dinner - I made a seriously huge lasagne, with new potatoes and crisp green salad. I had hopes that there would enough left over for my lunch today - ha ha ha - they fell on it like vultures and the whole lot vanished !
Aequam servare mentem.